Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New user training 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterRacker

Oct 13, 1999
US
This started in the part time users post, but I wanted to gather everything in one place. I'm looking at completely revamping our new user training this spring and am looking for ideas from how other people do it. Fire away please..... <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I've found it best not to cover too much at once. One-page handouts describing succinctly how to solve one problem or accomplish one task are very well received. Lunchtime (brownbag or company provided) seminars, either with an instructor or going over a session or two of a CBT course also work well. Also, use the Tom Sawyer fence-painting approach - if there is a friendly power-user or sysadmin in a department, show them a lot of the tricks and solutions, and let them be your first-line help desk and 'train their buddy' person.<br>
Of course the essential rule (I can email a whole list of them I got from Compuserve) is to keep YOUR hands off the keyboard when demonstrating a solution - take the time to talk them through the task, so they can remember it better and show it to others.<br>
If there is an inhouse newsletter, add a PC page to it, with advice and tips. <p>Fred Wagner<br><a href=mailto:frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us>frwagne@ci.long-beach.ca.us</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Keep it short....New users tend to get overwhelmed with too much information. I've had better results conducting several short sessions instead of one long class. Also, don't try to teach everything an application can do. Again, you risk overwhelming your students. Focus on practical tips they can put to immediate use.

User Training???? Isn't that a contradiction in terms.....Keep it simple.....

Get everything in place before the new users arrive...It doens't look good if a new user has to wait a while before being able to use the computers because no account has been created. Then supply the training as hand outs which include a link to the electronic version. Finally, a very important step is to EVALUATE the training. This one is often neglected. Let the new users know you will ask them for their comments at the end of the &quot;course&quot; and give them a mail-address so they can reach you for more comments or info. Also write down all the questions you get. Even though they might already be covered in your docs, the wording might be &quot;wrong&quot; for a new user or the location might need adjusting.

Make sure there is plenty of time for the class. If the user/users feel rushed<br>then they will miss the impaortant items. Also identify your weakest student.<br>Make sure they are getting the points you are making. I saw a CNI at my<br>Netware 5 course not do this and it gave him nothing but heartburn later.<br>Greg<br>Live long and prosper, or at least break even.

I agree with Fred Wagner completely!
I have worked in many differing fields from the Police Force to Retail management, now I work as computer support. The method of digestable chunks is the most effective way to ensure a concise knowledge is gained. It is also straightforward for the trainer, think back to those dark days at school and college, you could do long division until you had master simple division, when you came to learn long division you understood what you were trying to do. The Buddy method has two wins (possibly more) the student will have more confidence if they have an assigned person to talk through any issues they have, the Buddy will feel valuable and you will have more free time. Please make sure that your buddy gives you feedback on how the student is doing and ask what questions that the student is asking the buddy, give the buddy direction.
[sig]<p>Steve Thomas<br><a href=mailto:sthomas@ITIMSoftware.com>sthomas@ITIMSoftware.com</a><br><a href= Website</a><br>I am not Shameless, therefore I will not tell you about the when I was caught.........(now you are curious!!)[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back