Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New User shows in dls, but not the global address book. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike555

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
Yesterday I created a new user mailbox. The user was able to open Outlook and send/receive messages successfully. But this user does not appear in the Global Address Book, and when other users attempt to send him e-mails his name cannot be resolved. This new user does show up as a distribution list member of all the distribution lists he belongs to, and other users can see his name in these lists, just not in the GAB.

I've checked the user's Exchange properties and everything is correct. What is the problem? Is this a pre-SP1 issue? I have not installed SP1 yet, but plan to do so soon. In the mean time, how can I fix this?

Thanks.

--
Mike

Your clients are probably using exchanged cached mode. Go to a users outlook click tools>email accounts>view or change exsisting email accounts, next>highlight microsoft exchange server and click change. Uncheck the cached mode box. Close and restart outlook and see if you see the new user in the GAB. If so, that is causing the problem most users will have the persons name recached with in a day or so. If not you should check the offline address book settings on your exchange server or completely get rid of cached mode on users outlook.

I just got off the phone with Microsoft and this was indeed the problem. Here's a star for your efforts...

Thanks.

--
Mike

I'm having the same problem. What was you solution for this issue. I've created a new user in the AD, but the user mailbox does not appear anywhere. Please help

H

I am also having this problem. Everything works fine when I setup the server (6 months ago). I can access the mailbox via outlook web access, can send and receive the email. But it does not show up in global address list or resolve it when configure outlook.

GaryRumson posted the answer above.

--
Mike

The user has not attached to her mailbox yet via outlook. But they are not using outlook 2003.

Kwok

Also, make sure the recipient update service (RUS) is configured properly as well as make sure its service account has permissions to access all containers within AD.

Zane D.
Systems Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back