Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New user setting has wiped my docs and settings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vex

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
I have had to reset up my user and login details on my Win2000 Prof. laptop, loging onto a NT server.

This created a new user in 'documents and setting' and I then set about transferring files from my old user Doc & Settings to the new one (yes I moved and didnt copy, Doh!). This all worked fine, I even managed to find my .pst file, cunningly hidden in w2k, and move somewhere 'safe' in the new d&s's user.

Unfortunately it looks like I forgot to 'restart' the flippin machine and on doing the reboot it looks like it has rewritten over all the resent rehoused documents in the new users D&S's.

Is there anyway of getting this 2 years of info back?

I do have a back up (using w2k) but have an un-nerving feeling that that hasn't worked either!

HELP?

Please!

I think that if you didn't remove your previous profile that you can right click on My Computer and click on User Profiles then copy your old profile to the new profile. As long as you haven't removed any previous profiles and only added new ones this should duplicate your settings and documents into the new profile.

You're on a domain - are you using roaming profiles? I'm a bit confused by your post, as if the new user profile was set up and you just added stuff from old profile to it, there would be no reason for it to be overwritten UNLESS you are using roaming profiles. But if you're using roaming profiles, presumably your old profile would exist on the server somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back