Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New User Issues in Exchange... Please Help ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEG78

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2004
US
Background - 2 Servers both running Windows 2003, 1 of which is also an Exchange 2003 Server.

Setup my user in Active Directory on my DC. Go tothe Exchange Server to setup a Mailbox. Mailbox creates fine w/ no errors. Go to the AD eMail Address tab in the Properties menu on the Exchange Server. There are no eMail Addresses listed. I create my SMTP eMail address: user@domain.com. I can now send eMail to the User.

Problems:
1. I can't setup the User w/ Outlook 2003. Name cannot be resolved.

2. User is not in the Global Address Book. (I am assuming this is related to the #1.)

3. I can however access the Mailbox through Outlook Web Access.

I figured the changes had not replicated yet, but I have waited 3 days, and it has not replicated yet into the Address Book. I can see the User in the Groups through the Global Address Book, but not individually.

All of the other permissions are working fine.

HELP!!

When you create a new user and mail enable it, the Recipient Update Service is responsible for updating more than just the smtp address, it also stamps several other attributes on the user. This sounds like a case where the RUS is not stamping. You might want to start your troubleshooting there.

When you create the user account does it automatically ask you if you want to create a e-mail account? If not it sounds like your AD might not have extended correctly.

Yes it does ask. I can manually type in the eMail Address and the User does receive it. It just does not show up by itself in the GAB...

Check out the receipent policy in the Exchange. Have you defined the email settings?

From 251395, you'll note that the RUS sets the ShowInAddressBook attribute. In your first post you say, User is not in the Global Address Book. The RUS also processes the recipient policies, and stamps the email addresses. You not that the smtp address is missing, and you put it in manually.

I'd check the RUS.

When I setup my SBS 2003 Standard server at work we had this problem, the best fix that we found was to set the recipient update services not to run and run them manually when we need to and the problem went away.

About 2-3 weeks ago I set them to run hourly with some stuff that I was working on with trying to automate adding contacts and things did not work. I set them back to manual.

the other day we hired a new employee and I had the same problem described here where I the global address list wouldn't propogate, so I added everying (including x400) manually and reran the services. Nothing, no go. I removed the mailbox through exchange tasks and removed exchange attributes. I restarted ALL of teh MS Exchange services (info store, agents, connectors, etc). After the restart I redid the exchange tasks to create the mailbox then manually rand the recipient update services and it went flawlessly.

I tried playing with a few contacts without outside e-mail addresses and that worked too.

The person who purchased the server and recommended my hiring to the firm where I work said that this is a frequent problem in SBS Exchange 2003.

I hope this has helped you, please let me know if you find a better solution
MAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back