Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new user account won't pull old user account settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian32

Vendor
Mar 20, 2005
US
I created a new user account in AD and pointed its profile path to an older account. The problem is that when I log into the new account, it doesn’t pull down all of the settings of old account.

For example, the old account has an red background. The new account will apply that setting. But the old account also has a secure desktop (no icons, no right clicking) with the Classic Start Menu, but the new account doesn't pull any of those settings.

Both accounts are in the same OU, waited for replication and even did a gpupdate /force on each account.

I also did a gpresult on both accounts and everything matches except these lines, under User Settings:

The old account says:
Last time Group Policy was applied: 4/18/2007 at 8:26:31 AM
Group Policy was applied from: mycompanyDC.mycompany.com

The new profile says:
Last time Group Policy was applied: N/A
Group Policy was applied from: N/A

Any ideas?

Is there a reason why you didn't just rename the original account to the new name? If you need to have the same settings as the original user, you will need to copy the original's profile to the new account. Also this new user may not have access to the original's home directory (you may want to check that also)

I need to create several new accounts as roaming profiles, using the old account as the source.

Also, when you point the profile path to the old account, it doesn't generate its own folder on the server because its using the old profile. I even had the new account to have full control of the old accounts folder.

change the owner on the profile folders for the old account to be the administrators group. also recommend copying the profile to an individual folder for each user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back