Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New USB device detected when changing ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayjaycee

Technical User
Mar 5, 2001
GB
I've got a laptop with 2 USB ports and am installing a USB-to-mobile phone cable, along with the SoftGSM package. This works fine, detecting the USB cable as a modem and allowing the laptop to dial out over the mobile phone.

The problem is, if I connect the cable to the other USB port, Windows XP detects a new modem and installs it. This stops the s/w working and I have to plug the cable back in the original port, delete the 2nd modem & reinstall the s/w.

Question: Is there any way to stop XP detecting a re-plugged device as a new one?

I've tried all sorts of things, but no luck so far.

Thanks One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

Is there really no way of sorting this one out?

I'd really appreciate any comments on this - even if only to say it's a none-starter.

Thanks in advance One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

:)

That did occur to me. but the laptop's user will probably need to use both ports.

I have implemented a Low-Tech solution for now - putting a sticker pointing to one port & saying "Use this for phone" [2thumbsup] One by one, the penguins steal my sanity. X-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back