Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Universes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenSimmons

Programmer
Nov 26, 2003
US
When I export a new universe with the same name as an old universe, any old reports will not run against that universe. Is there a way around this?

When you export the Universe do you get the dialog box saying something along the lines of ... a universe of this name already exists. Do you want to overwrite?

If not, then there is something different and you are not replacing 1 with the other. The file name has to be the same to overwrite.

Because I can never remember when BO uses / displays Universe name and the file name I usually make them both the same. Any notes about version etc I put in the description. I then never have any problems with reports not picking up the new upgraded universe.

Also, if you click on the View Data icon and go to the Definition tab, when you click on the ellipsis button beside the Universe name can you see the Universe you want to use? If you can you could select it here.

Or, are you getting 'some redundant objects have been removed' message. This will be to do with id's for objects in the universe being changed and you will have to add them back in.

Some more details on the issue:

We received our updated universes from the third-party source that designed them. Their connection for the database has a different name than our connection, so we have to open the universe in Designer, then edit the parameters to change the data source from their name to the name that we use. We then export the universe into the production domain. Designer saves the changes to the universe, then prompts us to inform us that we will be overwriting the existing universe with the same name. We click OK and the save completes.

Beyond this point, we can access the universe and generate new reports against it, but all previously saved reports will not refresh when we attempt to do so. The error that we receive indicates that the data source that uses our named connection is not available.

We are unable to edit the report to force an update of the reference to the "old" universe to point to the "new" universe because the "Unable to connect to data source" dialog box blocks us from accessing the universe pick list.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Wes Downs
Database Developer
Synovus Financial Corp.

Back in 1998 I had a problem quite similar with version 4.1 of Business Objects. We had moved the repository from test-environment to the production database. All existing documents we worthless, though we could create new ones just fine...
What happens if you save an existing document 'save for all users' and then try to get at the universe link?

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

I also had a similar type of problem . If u r using new universe with same parameters then the privious one do not
allow u to do this.
There may be some change in the parameters of new universe.

U should first delete the existing universe then export the new one .

If the reports then show 'universe not found' then it is clear that parameters of new universe r changed.

(I suggest first to delete the new universe then try to recall the same parameters as u have given in older one .
And export it .
When the message comes "a universe of this name already exists. Change universe name and file name "
Then delete the existing universe (old universe)
and export the new universe after that.

This will surely solve ur problem

Mohit
mohit.garg@india.birlasoft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back