Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Windows 2000 server Password lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizwaves

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
CA
Hello:

Could someone tell me how to lockdown a LAN so that only the administrator and the "owner" of that desktop are the only ones able to access only their desktop? In other words you can't just walk up and login or hit the cancel key and get at all of that persons files. In other words, I have created the user on the server and the desktop but how do I get it so does allow anyone to bypass the password and just hit and can read/write to that persons files.

This would be greatly appreciated I have no information on this and have tried searching even help on the server - it is buried somewhere. [bigears]

Which operating system are you using. There are certain registry settings you can change to only allow specified users to log in but it does largly depend on the O/S.

I thought I was in the Windows 2000 server forum pleas correct me if I am wrong. The O/S that I am using in Windows 2000 server.

I can undersatnd why you uneasy with me going into the registry to lock down the system. You can't lock it down through the Administrative tools and somewhere in there.

Create a local security policy that only allow selected indivdulas from logging on locally to the machine. Go to "Start" >> "Programs" >> "Administrative Tools" (or "Start">> "Settings" >> "Control Panel" >> "Administrative Tools") >> "Local Security Policy". Once there expand "Local Policies" >> "User Rights Assignment". Go to "Log on Locally", double click to open/modify and click Add to select who can logon locally and remove those who can't. You can also, go into each user in your Domain and restrict them to which machine they are allowed to log on to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back