Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New To VSS, needs to know about remote access

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjaminkang

Programmer
Dec 29, 2008
MY
As the topic says, I'm pretty new to version control structures. But before i decide to use this, I'm wondering, If it is possible for users to modify a script/file without having to copy that file into the user's local machine.

That means even if the user checks out the file, it doesn't make a copy in the user's machine, but instead automatically creates a temporary copy in the server, lets the user modify the file. Commit the file, and vss will automatically revise it accordingly and delete the temporary copy.

I'm wondering, If it is possible for users to modify a script/file without having to copy that file into the user's local machine.

No. VSS copies the file into our local machine when you check out a file so that you can make changes and then check in.

Catherine Sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back