Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEW TO VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJase

Technical User
Mar 3, 2005
GB
Can anyone please help i am trying to set up a VPN so to access our work server from home.
I understand the basics of it e.g havin a static ip etc
but still I am unable to get it working.
Any help would be massively apreciated.
Think im just struggling to get the correct ip for my domain server but maybe im wrong.

Thanks

JJJ

Please tell me what kind of VPN Server are you using. and what kind of VPN Client are using?

Ahh,you got me now!
Im just trying to use the software thats with the server and laptop,Small business server and windows xp.
Is that what you were asking?

Yes.

Thats right.
here is what i wanted you to check

1. Check the name of the user in the AD has given VPN/Dial-in access?

2.Make Sure you setup the RAS server properly.

3.Make sure you are using the same parameters on the client side

LMK if you need anymore

Yeah that sounds ok,but could you give me a quick easy walkthrough on how to set up the RAS?
Cheers

JJJ:

I am not an expert in that too. But i would like to give u a hand.

Environment: Windows 2003 and Windows XP

1. Configure the RAS services
2. Select the Network Adapter
3. Configure if your RAS wants to be a DHCP server or no
4. Create the Remote Access Policies
5. Configure in Active Directory
6. Configure the client

Then you should be good to go i guess

Yeah think i have got it,one thing im not sure about though,
Our asdn line comes in through a broadband router then to our wireless router which connects all the server and the workstations.
So do I put in the ip for the isp,server,or the wireless router?
cheers

In order to have your VPN Server accessible over the internet, it will either have to have a publicly accessible IP (one assigned by your net provider) or port forwarding for the appropriate ports on your router. If you have a linksys type router between your server and the internet, you will need to setup port forwarding on your router for all vpn ports to your server. THen you connect with the IP of your router.

I'm not sure exactly what ports those are but a guy at this forum has a suggestion.

Even with port forwarding I don't think you can properly setup a fully functional VPN. As I understand it the server should have two NICs one with a public IP and one with a Private IP. Then the server does it's own routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back