Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to using backup tape for in-house servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlm823

Programmer
Oct 29, 2003
US
Hey there

So I'm doing some various work for someone that has a small business inside networking server and system. The person before hand really wasn't on hand so I'm working on this transition alone...

They have a Power Edge 830 (DELL) and use Travan 40GB tapes.

Does anyone know where I can find information on the best form of rotation for these tapes? Since it is a small business I'm thinking 3-tape would be best but not sure if that is right.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

This depends on a WIDE variety of things, including how much data is backed up, how frequently you need to backup, what kinds of backups you are doing (full, differential, incremental), legal requirements (if you are in the USA and involved in a lawsuit you CANNOT LEGALLY erase ANY backup, Effective Dec. 2006).

I would suggest you read over my backup comment/web page. You can find it here:

Thanks for the information LWComputing. I did read your document and it was very helpful. I discussed it with the owner of the biz and she wants to do a full backup weekly and the do a partial backup daily. Which based on what I've read wouldn't that mean we need to invest in more tapes so that we have at least a weeks worth of tapes saved before rewriting over them?

My other question is that I can't find any documentation on the the utility they currently use -- Windows Backup (version 5.0). And it doesn't really explain how you would do a full backup with this software.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I think that you probably need something better than the built in Windows backup system. Have a look at Backup/Exec or other similar products. PC-BaX by Cristie is qquite good and not too expensive (and has a bare metal restore option should your server crash completely).

Remember than when you are rotating the tapes you will want to keep an offsite copy in case of disasters. This is very important. Always keep offsite backups in reasonable conditions (i.e. not in your car boot) as they may not work when you try to restore.

Also remember to try regular test restores every couple of months just to make sure that the backup is working.

PLUG: We provide an online backup service which will keep your backups offsite safely and remove the need for most of your tape backups. Have a look at for more details.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Thank you so much for this information! I'm trying to get them to do more -- it is a small biz with a low budget so I'm having to work within their budget. I will look at the system software you mentioned.

Thanks

Windows Backup (NTBACKUP) is a simple utility. You just select the areas youo want to backup and run the backup - there are 3 or 4 kinds - FULL, COPY, DIFFERENTIAL, INCREMENTAL.

Okay the Backup software I have on this server doesn't provide the option to do FULL, COPY, DIFFERENTIAL, or Incremental... I must have an older version

So one thing I just noticed is on the calendar within the backup utility -- every day references the schedule task of 10/26/06 -- is suppose to reference that date or reference the date it is to backup?

The calendar is when the backups will run. The Restore tab should list your available backups to restore.

Okay

I setup a new backup with the current date and now that I'm wanting to restore it keeps referring to the old scheduled job -- any advice on how to get to what was backed up yesterday???

Man this backup thing is very frustrating!

I didn't want to break into ur conversation, but mlm823 after ur last post i couldn't stand.
The point is NTbackup (win built-in backup utility) often
let me down (whenas other system tools seem to be ok).
Fortunatelly the files NTbackup lost weren't too important for me, so i let it go. But at work i use another backup software Acronis True Image Enterprise Server (I guess u cann't afford it, so that company has another backup over network utility Acronis True Image Workstation for small business.
Have a look -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back