Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to SRDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondebbs

MIS
Dec 28, 2005
US
Hello, currenly we have a data center in california and a similar data center in TX. At this point I would consider each site a SAN island. Each site has a DMX1000 and two Cisco MDS 9506 switches. We may be buying two new DMX-4 arrays(one for each site) this year.

Currently the two SAN islands do not talk. This year we will likely implement SRDF/A from one site to the other. Currenlty we have two FA adapters (8 ports each) in each dmx (FA-2 and FA15). These ports are zoned through our MDS switches and connected to our mission critical hosts. Our MDS switches are very basic containing one 16 port FC module and one 32 port FC module.

I'm guessing we will need to buy some new hardware to connect the two DMXs. Do we need to order two new director cards to set up as the RLD (Remote Link Director)? Currently we have IP connectivity between each site.

Do we need to order a new module for our MDS switches (GigE?) so we can connect the sites?

I have a pretty good understanding of how to configure SRDF/A once the hardware/networking problems are solved. Understanding the networking issues will be my biggest challenge.

Depends on your network I think you can implement fcip if your connection to the other site is ip. If all the fiber ports already allocated in your symm being use you need another fiber director but if one port for ex. director 15d is not yet use you can use it for your srdf.

Better yet consult your local emc representative so that they will be able to scope your requirements and give a better choice which componets are needed.

I believe that Jie is correct with one caviot. I believe that if you are converting a port from a FA port to an RA port I believe it uses both the A and B processor on that card. I may be wrong here but talk to your CE from EMC and he can help you get the BIN set up. This is not a change you can do from Symconfigure I do remember that it had to be done through a bin file change.

Yes, I think you are correct about the A and B ports. I will be consulting with our emc people and know I have enough info.

Thanks, Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back