Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to solaris and need disk info

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesleyGilchrist

Technical User
Jan 10, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm new to Solaris and I need to find out how many disks there are on the machine, what size they are and if they're raided. I'm sure it's fairly simple but I don't know where to start!

Please help
Thanks
Lesley

Format will tell you how many disks and their sizes. If you have Disksuite installed (it comes with the distribution CDs) you should be able to tell whether they are RAIDED. If so, entries in file /etc/opt/SUNWmd/md.tab will give you some idea of how they are set up. Veritas is also a possibility, but I don't know enough about that to advise. Hope this helps initially anyway.

if you use veritas volume manager vxprint gives the disk layout I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Please explain what RAID is and what they do? Are they just big storage devices that are hooked up to servers???

RAID is (Redundant Array of Independant Disks). There are different levels 0,1,3,5. RAID can be created by using software or hardware. Veritas Volume Manager uses a software method, and someone like LSI Logic Storage Systems will use a hardware implementation, where you have a separate "server" hook up via a fibre/scsi connection. JW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back