Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Shoretel (Advice Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb8888

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
Have been using BCM's for years. Just I check out Shoretel I bought a SG50 and a couple IP 230 phones just to check out. So anything else I need? I was reading about Shoretel Director. Do I need it to just try out the system? If so where do I get it?? Thanks!!!

Hi,

Yes you'll need the director software to run any of the shoretel stuff. The director software sits on a windows server. They are very tight on controlling their software - so you can't get anything from the shoretel support site - even documentation. ShoreTel operate a reseller business model so unless you have major spend to go direct you're stuck with a reseller for support/purchasing etc.

Also having come from the Nortel world - i find that it can be quite frustrating at times to have to work with a reseller. ShoreTel don't patch, you just get to upgrade the entire platform if you have issues.

It can be simple and the interface is entirely web-based, and so far it's been more stable with no major outages for us. take a look at shoretelforums.com lots of useful info there and you can get a feel for the type of issues seen

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

So I won't find Shoretel Director on the open market?

generally speaking no - any company disposing of hardware would tend to wipe any hard-drives. Although having siaid that I have seen some stuff kicking around on flea bay so you may get lucky

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

oh - when did that change - well sign up on shoretel forums I'm there as well

Well, looks like I need to continue looking for Shoretel "Director" to get my home system running.

Thanks. Checking to see if that includes Director.

Someone ought to be able to get me on a deal for a few licenses for home use??

I got DIRECTOR RUNNING AND I THINK TALKING TO THE SG50. NEXT STEP IS TO ADD A PHONE.... BUT I NEED LISCENSES TO CONTINUE. I HEAR THAT THERE IS A COMPLETE PACKAGE LIKE AN SBE100... HAS THE COMPUTER, SERVER AND EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR 100 PHONES. I NEED TO FIND OE OF THESE.

The SBE bundles do indeed have a server, switch and licensing. The SBE bundle comes with 10 Essential Licenses (extension + mailbox + UC client), 1 Operator License and 10 SIP Trunk licenses. They don't come with any actual handsets though, so those would still need to be added on top. You would need to contact a reseller in order to get one of these bundles.

Alternatively, like mikey has said earlier, check auction sites to see if anyone is selling a complete system (most probably will be running the older 14.2 or earlier software and not the new Connect software.

Thanks, and I have been watching Ebay as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back