Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

TH22

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2005
US
They are rolling out Outlook 2003 here at the company and Im part of the test group. They decided to surprise me with a rollout this morning at probably the most inconvenient time possible. Anyway, its a bit different that 2000 (but nothing too complex). However, I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with:

1) In 2000, you could switch between folders (Example: inbox, send, calendar, etc) by clicking on the text name for the folder (Example: 'Inbox) in the gray bar at top. This doesnt appear to be possible in 2003. The only way now appears to be keeping the 'Navigation Pane' open on the left, or selecting the folder from the 'Go' drop-down on the toolbar. Is there another option I'm missing. I really dont like having the Navigation Pane open.

2) Whenever I am composing an email, the text displayed in the email I'm writing is displayed in 8 pt font. The drop down font selector shows it as 10 pt font, and when it is sent, it is 10 pt font... but when Im composing, it shows it in 8pt. I'm sure Im missing something here. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Tim

Question #1 - Go to Tools > Customize, and from the Commands tab, choose Go on the left pane. Then drag the Inbox, Sent Items, etc. up to your toolbar and position them where you want them. Then you can just click the toolbar button to navigate.

Sawedoff

Sawedoff,
Thanks. That looks like that will work.
I think I will write a macro to close down the Nav Pane, and that should take care of all my needs.
Regarding my question 2, I feel stupid, but I figured out the problem. The zoom was down to 75%.

... are you by chance an Aggie (noticed the handle)?

Tim

You don't need a macro to close the navigation pane, just click View, and turn it off.

No to the Aggie - I'm a Hoosier. I'm just very short, so have acquired the nickname sawed-off.

Sawedoff

Yes, that has been my workaround. I was trying to find something that I could manage all from the toolbar without having to go to the drop down toolbar (one click versus two clicks). Not sure if that means Im lazy or what...

Thanks!
Tim

You only have to turn it off once. It won't come back until you turn it back on. Seems to me that 2 clicks are easier than writing a macro... But suit yourself.

Sawedoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back