Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Nortel... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitelAvaya

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
NL
Hi guys,

I've just started a new contract, taken over from a guy who didn't know much/anything about the kit onsite and hasn't taken the time to document anything at all about IP addresses logins etc.

I'm used to dealing with Mitel/Cisco/Avaya kit, so wondering what is the best way to login and administer a BCM400, is it via a browser or application. If via an app, does it matter which version I use? will it cause conflicts with the software?

Also, with Nortel now owned by Avaya, whats the situation with regards to hardware like phones, conf units, are they going end of life?

If anyone has any basic tips and what not to do on the system they could point me to that would be perfect!!

Login depends what release you have.
Most Nortel is MD and/or EOL.

Best thing for you to do is simple, call a vendor and ask for a 1 or 2 hr admin training session.
Then when you have issues you can report back here.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

The BCM 400 was NT based and accessed for programming via the browser until BCM element manager at release 4.0 came out which was Linux based.

You will need to know the Account and password, but generally speaking access is available on most systems via LAN2 as most systems don't normally change the IP address of 10.10.11.1.

Element Manager can be download via browser access if it's a release 4.0 version or via the link below

Some old guides are available at..

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks for the pointers there Firebird, will be swatting up on that info! 3Sixty, based near Oxford St. CurlyCord - already suggested a training session, but as usual, no budget!

So... I've got the IP of the system now, found it on the back of a piece of paper in the comms room! its set to a 172 address, however PC's on the network get a 10.xxx address.

I've tried changing my machines IP to the 10.10.11.1 and the 172 address and connecting to LAN2 via a straight through & Xover cable with no luck, can't ping the controller on either address!

The story is beginning to unfold a bit now, and I know the system is BT managed, I've spoken to their help desk and the only suggestion they had was to change the IP address of the BCM400 to be able to connect to it, this wouldn't be ideal, and I can't login to it to change it!!

Any ideas on how I can get on to the kit?!

Sounds like the network was changed up and now on 10.X where the BCM was forgotten.
Make sure the last set of digits on your laptop do not match the BCM's main IP or anything on the BCM that might be using it.
i.e. if the BCM is 10.10.11.1 then make your laptop 10.10.11.20

What Release BCM400 is it?
If serial port on it:
1. Connect the serial port of a PC to the serial port of the BCM using a null-modem cable. Set parameters to 9600 baud, 8-N-1.
2. User Name = ee_admin, Domain = <press enter>, Enter Password
3. Main Menu – press 2
4. Start Menu – press q
5. Quick Configuration – press a to change LAN1, press i to change LAN2, press r to change the Next Hop Router
6. When you are finished making changes, restart the BCM to make any changes take effect.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I have success at last!! Came into the office this morning determined to get onto the kit and did, 1st time! I must have been putting something in wrong somewhere as can now access the system via lan2 on 10.10.11.1.

Thanks all for your help and guides. Unfortunately I may be back with some questions soon....

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back