Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Nortel and locked out of 5520

Status
Not open for further replies.

robkiller

Programmer
Nov 2, 2014
US
I am new to Nortel and habe a 5520. I am locked out. I used the UI button to try and set it back to default address 192.168.192.168 but I still cant ping it. I am using a rj45 to the routers rj45. Any ideas how to get into this?

Have you set the IP address of your PC to the same subnet as the address you have given the switch when you try to ping or telnet to the switch.

If you are using a console connection remember to type ctrl Y to start the session

I am back in but am stuck on setting it up.

I am not trying anything fancy yet just the basics. I have a quest actiontech q1000 for my internet which handles the traffic and dchp. I have a switch and then this 5520 that I want to add. I only need it to allow me at this time to talk to the internet and other computers on my network. I have set up the ip address for the 5520 to 192.168.0.2 and my actiontech router is 192.168.0.1. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong again I am brand new to this so you are talking to a dummy.

Easiest way is through a console connection.

From the cli enter enable mode then add an ip address
# enable
# ip address switch <a.b.c.d> netmask

you can add no before the command to remove

Or you can do it through the menu system. From the cli type "exit" this should take you to the menu system. You can then select the "ip" menu and enter the address there.

After playing with it I gave up and set the ip adress to the same as the main router of the house. I think its only operating as a normal switch now but it works.

Then you should better remove IP address to avoid address conflicts in your network.

[pre]no ip address switch[/pre]

or

[pre]no ip address stack[/pre]

With how its set up now how much am I limiting the routers capability for speed?

So I restarted the entire system after power loss and now I am having internet issues. It may be the ip address stuff you warned me about. My 5520 stack ip is 0.0.0.0 my 5520 ip is 192.168.0.140 which is set as a static on the main internet router 5520 gateway 192.168.0.1 which is the main router ip address. What wrong any ideas?

I'm confused how many switches and routers you have and how they are addressed.

Assuming you have something like this set the switch to the following

actiontech q1000
lan address: 192.168.0.1/24
|
|
5520(single switch)
switch address: 192.168.0.X/24 (Make the address an unused one)
gateway: 192.168.0.1
|
|
PC
IP address: DHCP 192.168.0.X

You should be able to ping everything then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back