Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New To .NET 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RushiShroff

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
IN
Hey all,
I am an ASP programmer for 2-3 years.Now my boss tells me to move to .NET.

I have some very primary questions.

1> Does it support all browsers ?
2> How to start ? Where will I get learning tutorials ?
2> what are advts and disadvts of it ?

Regards,

C# is but one of the programming languages you can use with ASP.Net. If you're an ASP programming, I'm assuming you use VBScript or JScript, both of which are also supported (with minor differences I believe) under ASP.Net
I'm new to this and just doing some research myself. Here's a couple links you might find usefull.

- Microsoft's site. Has a lot of info and links to samples and whatnot

- Awesome site for all things ASP. I've used it for years and they have some new info pertaining to ASP.Net as well

Hey Rushi,

K, first thing you need to know about asp.NET: it is NOTHING like old school asp. Old school asp was basically just putting in a few <script> tags in html documents and writing vbscript.

asp.NET is more akin to Visual Basic, and it switches from a &quot;programming language&quot; of sorts to a programming technology that allows programmers to move their applications to the web.

In asp.net, you now have the concept of &quot;code behind&quot;, which visual studio developers have enjoyed on the desktop for years. now, you have a web form that holds the controls (like a windows form) and a code behind file that holds all the code for that form (like a code behind for a windows form)

asp.net also allows you to code in whichever language you want (assuming its supported in the .NET framework). Some of those languages are VB.NEt, C#, C++.NET, Cobol.NET, J#.NEt, and others being developed. The reason all these languages work is because of something called the Common Language Runtime. All .NET languages eventually get compiled down to this CLR, which allows a vb app to talk to a C# dll (VERY kewl, and VERY dynamic in what you can do). Presently, the actual asp.net applications can be done in vb.net or C# languages, but if you write a dll in J# or C++, your asp code can access those functions as if they were written in the same language!

This whole .NET thing is super exciting to get into, and is VERY powerful! To answer your questions, here's what I suggest:
1. Get a copy of the .NEt framework AND a copy of VisualStudio.NET. You can program asp.net with a good ol' text editor, but you won't get all the benefits as you would in a graphical interface
2. Wrox is your friend. Wrox press has alot of really great books on .NET. Be careful though, as many were written before the visual studio.net days, so they're all written old school way. Mind you, since thats what you're familiar with, it may be great place to start
3. Start learning XML if you dont already know it. XML plays a HUGE part in .NET, and knowing it will definately give you a leg up.

K, my novel is done now :)
Any other questions, feel free to ask!
:)

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back