Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to MSAS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lochew

Programmer
Jan 11, 2006
CA
Does anyone know of a way to display a numeric value not from a Fact Table as a measure and not have it aggregate. My thought is an External rollup within Cognos Transformer. If someone can povide an example that would be great. I have another question concerning date filters example: Between Dec 10 -20 but I still need to research this further. I would like the have the date filter available to the end user as a option to select.

Thanks
LC

I thnk if you declare the field as character, it will be interpreted by AS as character. You may need to overlay a view over your table(s) to force AS to see it as a char/varchar. Another option might be a calculated field, where you use a CASE type statement to "convert" the numeric to a character or phrase. MDX'er may have other ideas.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Thanks johnherman for the info. I was able to get it working by creating the following Calculated Member based off a Member Property field:

IIF([Inv Account].CurrentMember.Level.Name ="Account Name",CDbl([Inv Account].CurrentMember.Properties("Target Percent")),Null)/100

This is displaying what I need but now I am running into an issue with PowerPlay Client and PPES returning “na” for the values. It looks as if this value expression is not supported within PP. This is what I am hearing from Cognos.

Member property would have been my suggestion. you may actually want to do it as a Calculated cell as opposed to a calculated member. By using the calculated cell you address how the values are displayed at higher levels by the Use of the ISLeaf function. An example of this would be if you carried Unit Cost within a product dimension If your looking at All products what should be displayed? By using the Calculated cell you can determine at what level the value is displayed.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

I'm tired of people who don't appreciate the excellent advice MDX'er provides in this forum. If I could give MDX'er 50 stars, I would.

The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

LOL thanks john. Don't forget yourself in those who provide excellent advice. So a star for you.

- Daffy Duck

You would think that there are never any problems solved based on the limited number of stars. I mean, look at it, other than the two we just posted, the forum is virtually empty of stars.

As for me, my experience with Analysis Services is fading fast, it's been over 2 years now. However, I can still provide general support to DW and OLAP in general.

Been 2 years since I used MSAS currently stuck in Cognos land. Looking forward to getting into MSAS 2005 just got to create some proof cases showing our cubes would be better if done in MSAS as both can be reported from by Cogonos tools.

I had the fortunate experience of working on one of the 5 largest DSS systems based on the microsoft platform which is where I learned most of what I know. the small things become important when done against large data volumes.

- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back