Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkmail

MIS
Jun 11, 2002
US
Hi,

i just installed RH Gnome on my laptop. Where do I go for the bash prompt? That is the equiv to the command prompt in Windows right? Can I run things such as ping, telnet and FTP there?

Thanks,

BM

I am really enjoying Linux. however, is there a particular directory that i should save programs to? I am also trying to install instant messengers but it will not let me. I am logged in as root and it will still not let me install programs.

Just wondering if someone can answer before i actually look through the manual.

Thanks,

BM

then we would need to know what error messages you get :)

I downloaded all the redhat patches...how do i apply them?

These updates will probably be .rpm files. If you want to upgrade the existing programs drop to a bash prompt change directory to where the updates are and run:
rpm -Uvh nameofrpm.rpm

This will upgrade the existing program. Have a look at

Its written for Redhat 7 but rpm hasn't changed much when it comes to installing/upgrading/removing etc.
also try at bash prompt:

man rpm

Ian

You might want to spend some time with a good book describing RH9. I keep RH9 Linux Unleashed by SAMS close by. Also be aware that RedHat is dropping Linux support to the Fedora Group, unless you have purchased the enterprice versions. I believe RH9 support kill is scheduled for April. Going forward, support for tinkerers will be through the Fedora project.

Facing Future - IZ

Hi bulkmail..

you can save your programs/ doc on /usr/yourdirname dir

you can install rpm using this command

rpm -ivh appname*

eg.
application name is apache-1.2.0-i386.rpm
(you dont have to type the whole file name)

you can type rpm -ivh apache-1*

to uninstall

rpm -e --nodeps appname

enjoy

Thanks guys. I will give this a try and look into the Fedora project as well.

BM

This is the error i get when trying to upgrade. What am i doing wrong?

warning: bash_205b_201i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID db42a60e
error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm

thanks! will try again. I appreciate all the help.

BM

Logging in as root works but not for all of the rpm upgrades. I suppose not all upgrades will work for my install.

Thanks,
BM

Maybe you can't install the rmps because dependecy problems. If you want a way to forget about dependecy you should install apt-get, this program install the rpm you need plus all other files needed by it. Look for apt-get at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back