Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
IL
Hi all

I am new to Linux, I do know aix (working 4 years in IBM business partner on rs/6000 machines) and I have a "system admin Solaris 8 certification" .I red some pdfs about Linux, and I tried to install red hat 9 on Pentium 2 350mhz with 100mb memory and cirrus logic 5464 no modem and no nic .my problem is I cannot install Linux on this machine. When it tries to start X server on the machine it fails with I/O problem first I suspected the graphical card but when I did some retries with "linux lowers skipddc" it didn’t help. I tried to install win XP on the pc and I successed so I do not thing it is hardware problem. I gave up and continued install the red hat on text mode choosing all the packages in the OS (I did choose server type machine) and then the machine crashed again when started to install packages. I am not sure I think it is because I do not have network card.
So my questions are:
1.is there any problem with cirrus logic and red hat 9?
2. Can I install packages of server even I do not have network card in my machine?

Any help will be apprecheate

I have read that Redhat 9.0 runs with the Cirrus Logic 3.36 Driver but not with the 4.0 driver. The 4.0 driver does not work with your card model number. I don't know if this will help. See if this is will help you in any way.

Hi dredford
thank you for the quick response.i searched the web for the above driver with no success.so do you have any link for download.

do you know something about the seconed question. am i force to install network card in the pc to install server packages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back