Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to linux, looking for some general direction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dseaver

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2006
I have an old computer at home with which i want to make a Linux server on so I can run GCC so I can play around with programming. Which Linux do you suggest (Debian, Fedora, etc.) Also, I don't need the server to be available online so is there a way to make it excessible only from my LAN. ANd Setting up SSH so I can use my windows comp to do everything. I'm completely new to linux and greatly appreciate any resources and help you can provide me with.

OK, let's start from the distro:
If you are newbie on linux probably Fedora Core 5 is a good call; there is nothing wrong with Debian, (actually I think it is the best distro) yet the install process could put you off linux very quickly.

Second question:
Yes, you may leave the box accessible only from LAN.

In order to have full control on your linux box from windoz these softwares are a must:

PuTTY.exe -- ssh terminal
pscp.exe -- windoz implementation of scp
VNCviewer -- remote desktop software
winscp -- optional if you are lazy and do not want to use the dos prompt to move files. uses a windows commander like interface.

All above windoz software is freely distributed, all excluding VNC are also open source.

Configuring SAMBA is not difficult and will give you access to cifs shares on your linux box using windoz network neighbourhood.

Where to find reference guides:

(The Linux Documentation Project)

Where to find human tutorials:

(follow the linux networking link)

If you get stranded, this forum is the best place to seek help.

Cheers

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

I might start of with debian, I don't mind a little bit of a challenge. My old gateway box with a P3 and 192 ram will suffice as the server, right? i know that linux has significantly (spelling?) lower hardware requirements.

QatQat, thanks for the responses, now i just have to get a harddrive for the box and the debian cd's (I'm gonna buy them). once i get started, I'll keep everyone updated

Ordered Debian today, now its just the waiting game.

wow, aboutdebian.com has soooo much information, I feel like i could read it for days and not make a dent in all the information they provide.

Just an update, no CD's yet, still waiting, I am interested in hosting my own website from my linux box eventually, I have heard of LAMP but I am completely lost on how it all works...

UPDATE: I have the CD's and I installed Debian today. Got through it ok. Now I am playing around with the shell to learn the basic commands and so on. Feel free to give me any pointers on where to go for more info. I got a bunch a books from the library on linux.

Oh, and of course the ethernet card in my debian box was made by microsoft. Looks like I have to go but a new ethernet card.

Your 'man' and 'info' pages are a good source for quick reference. For example, to find out more about the 'ls' command type 'man ls' on the command line. Of course you wouldn't use the quotes. You could also type 'help' for a list of shell commands.

I am having trouble connecting to the internet. I can ping other workstations on my LAN but i can't get onto the internet with the new card I just bought. I have assigned an IP to my linux box and also set up the gateway for it to look for.

I think I need to configure the nameservers for the linux box

I'm so proud, I fixed it myself. I added resolv.conf to /etc then edited it with emacs and saved it. Now i can surf the web with my linux box!! Yay for me.

Is there a text editor to use in bash?

you could allways use "vi", "vim" or "emacs"

regards
Dan

Congrats on getting it working dseaver. And also, grats on successfully running the gauntlet of both a 'which linux do you suggest?' and 'a text editor' and coming out in one piece. Hehe, wars have been fought over such things ;-)

Thanks for the aboutdebian.com link. Good stuff there.

----
JBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back