Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Java. Need help with JDBC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weblearner

Programmer
May 28, 2002
CA
I have done a little bit of Java and want to concentrate on Database access using JDBC.

Is there a URL where a sample test database is available for me to test out the java code.

Thanks in Advance.

If you have MS Access, just use the Northwind database. Ladyhawk. [idea]
** ASP/VB/Java Programmer **

Actually no.

I might have to.

I was wondering since everything is offered over the net, databases access (free or paid) should be out there.

I guess you're looking for a database product then, not a just a few sample tables?

There are several you can get for free.

You can go to , click on the top link for stable versions, and then download the version that fits your platform. It is a free, professional database product suitable for big applications. It is also a product you can help with online.

If it looks too complicated to learn, you could try
Other options:
-computer magazines sometimes offer free versions of 4th Dimension or Paradox or Delphi
- Star Office is at and includes the adabas database

Setting up any of them will require some effort though.

Happy databasing.

No more like a database that rents out user accounts and enough tablespace. You know something like image hosting ...

Anyway, I will try out your suggestions.

Thanks again.

I offer that service, however there is a fee. I do web hosting and I have yet to come across free mySQL access. If you are serious about using JDBC I would suggest mySQL as it is an "industry" database. No one would ever use Access or Adabas in the business.
You can get a copy of PHPTriad for windows that includes PHP, Perl, Apache and mySQL in one package (get it at sourceforge). Easy to install.
Then you have to get the drivers. The other reason I would suggest mySQL over Access is that you need to use an ODBC-JDBC bridge (almost the same but it gets confusing).

Avoid Paradox like the plague. MySQL is deffinately the way to go. And for testing purposes I would do a self-instalation. You'll learn a lot more than if you try to find some place to host your database, and MySQL isn't a resource hog like Access and MsSQL2K. Good Luck! MYenigmaSELF:-9
myenigmaself@myenigmaself.gaiden.com
"If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in." --Dykstra

YES!!!! Praise MySQL. I am actually an Oracle developer but for the majority of my clients I suggest and use MySQL. In recent benchmarking between all the "production level" databases for web applications, MySQL beat even Oracle for speed in databases with less than 1 million records.
It is lightweight, FREE and it is a true ANIS SQL compliant DBMS.
Learn it, know it, love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back