Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to IT working world 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greetcup

Technical User
Aug 7, 2011
US
Hi,

I have earned my A+, Network+, Security+, and MCP certifications, and now I am thinking of taking the 70-291 to earn the MCSA certification. But, I have no work experience.

Do you guys think if I get the MCSA I will get overqualified for some jobs, or I might scare off some employers because of the MCSA? Imagine applying to a entry-level helpdesk or PC technician job and the hiring manager sees that I have my MCSA.

If you are only one exam away from completing the MCSA then get that exam finished as soon as possible. The MCSA will be retired at some point (i.e., you can no longer earn it), and then you will have to start over working on the Windows 2008 certification track. If you already have the MCSA finished then you can take the upgrade path on your 2008 certs instead of starting over at the very beginning.

So again, if all you need is the 70-291 then get it done ASAP!

As far as your job hunt goes, some people hiring entry-level positions will be turned off by an MCSA because they know that you have your sights on moving up rather than staying put forever in an entry level job. Others will say "great, he's motivated, let's hire him." Still others will say "Here's a 'paper MCSA' who has no experience, let's not hire him even though the job is entry level." The response you get will vary depending on who sees the resume and there's no way to predict how they will see it, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. In the worst case scenario you can always leave the MCSA off of your resume/CV until you have more experience to go with it.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

And before you ask, I can't find anything that says when the exam will retire, so you're probably good for at least 6 months. But I'd still say to get it over with as soon as you can so it's done.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

I would finish the cert because they are difficult to find the time when you get up and going in a job. The retirement of the cert is another reason to get it done.

I don't think employeers would be scared off by it. In fact I think they'd be encouraged by it. I work in IT but I sit with a dpeartment thats work in another area.

They have a constant churn of entry level people who are not kept on because they can't turn up on time, have no concept of acceptable working behaviour or show a bad attitude.

I have witnessed constant sick days, falling asleep at the desk, mobile phone gaming, internet abuse and a 'thats good enough' approach from entry level employees.

The certification to me would show self discipline and a good attitude. Some places might see it as a negative but these days for entry level positions I feel showing you are not immature in the work place is much more important. The certification doesn't just show technical understanding - it shows the something of your about your character.

I should add I have acheived certifications in the past MCDBA, MCAD, MCTS and I+. I have stopped updating them now because I find they have a low return on investment in a role I have been in with the same company for many years. Experience in a technical area is always much more important than a certification. I still get kudos for the fact that I had the motivation and discipline to do them where evrybdy else in my IT department have not.

Dazed and confused.

Remember.. 'Depression is just anger without enthusiasum'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back