Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Indesign and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookiedesigner

Technical User
Nov 15, 2005
US
I am assembling an ad campaign at the moment. The designs are done I am just responsible for resizing them to specific print specs and outputting them to the file type that each magazine prefers. This all sounded simple when I first started but i'm having trouble now.

1. I am given a file with a design that is 5 X 5 which also includes print extra info below. Say my specs for the magazine are 4 5/8 X 4 13/16, I can size all the windows up to spec in Indesign, but I don't understand how to make the whole page that one single document. Sort of like when you flatten an image in Photoshop. I end up w/a PDF that isn't the exact right size. So I need some advice as to where to look or a little insight. Sorry about the vague question but I'm just a rookie at this.
2. Some magazines ask for Tiff files. The only method I have figured out to do this is to export to PDF from Indesign and then to open the file in Photoshop. However, then I am asked about rasterizing? and I always end up w/a file that is off of spec. Again any insight would be invaluable.
Thank you.

Is there a reason that you are creating the ads in InDesign instead of Photoshop or Illustrator? It is much easier to creat PDFs, Tiffs, EPS and so forth as well as making sure that they are the corect size specs in those programs. If they then need to go into InDesign Place as a Image?

InDesign CS, Photoshop CS, Illustrator CS, Acrobat 7
Windows XP & MAC OS X (Yes I Use Both, Not at the Same Time)

The reason is that I am given the design in Indesign. Basically, I have been given six templates and from them I have to provide files for magazines that fit their specific dimensions (bleed, trim, etc...) Additionally, I think (I dont know but I think) that it would be more convenient to resize w/Indesign. Like sometimes I have to upsize the font and trim some of the photo image to fit to spec.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back