Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Exchange Question. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessageMaster

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2007
US
An Example Scenario: If my Domain Controller (DC1) and 1st Exchange Server (EXCH1) are in Atlanta, and I add an Exchange Server to a location in Wyoming (EXCH2)and join it to the domain, what steps would I take to have my users in Wyoming connect to EXCH2 for their mail/contacts/OWA etc? In my tests so far, I can see the users in my AD on EXCH2 but no Mailboxes or anything in Exchange Manager... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For the mailboxes you would need to use the MoveMailbox wizard to move mailboxes from the Atlanta server to the Wyoming server.

For OWA, you will need to provide your users with a host name that resolves to the public IP of the second server.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

I want the EXCH2 server to maintain an updated copy of Mailboxes,contacts,etc that it obtains from EXCH1 via the Internet. If I move the mailboxes, wont they be on EXCH2 only?

I guess what I'm saying is that for fault tolerance I want users to be able to connect to EXCH2(remote location, WY) OR to EXCH1 (home location, Atlanta)in case of failure. So I would need up to date mailboxes,contacts,OWA features on both servers. Does that make more sense?

As far as I'm aware the only way to do what you are intending is to use Exchange Clustering, using Exchange Front End and Back End servers...

Maybe I'm off on this one though.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Any idea on whre I can learn more about Exchange 2003 clusters/clustering?

Exchange2(office server) will be used when they are in their local office.

Both servers will be live. Mail will come into the server here (Exchange1) and then need to be replicated to the office server(Exchange2). Mail will be sent through the office server(Exch1) and then need to be replicated to Exchange2.

The only way to do this is through Clustering?? What a huge pain as you have to have a "Quorum Data Server" and all the Windows 2003 Servers have to be Enterprise or Advanced Server versions? Brutal.

UPDATED:

Exchange2(office server) will be used when they are in their local office.

Both servers will be live. Mail will come into the server here (Exchange1) and then need to be replicated to the office server(Exchange2). Mail will be sent through the office server(Exch2) and then need to be replicated to Exchange1.

The only way to do this is through Clustering?? What a huge pain as you have to have a "Quorum Data Server" and all the Windows 2003 Servers have to be Enterprise or Advanced Server versions? Brutal.

I don't think you are explaining your desire well enough based on the fact that you are so new to Exchange. I would suggest that you bring in a local Microsoft Certified Partner for a consultation. Even if you don't have them do the work, you could pay them to help you formulate a proper plan.

A cluster provides redundancy, if a server goes down another server takes over. They need to be located in the same space because they share a disk.

Regards,

Mark

I wish that were an option my friend... Here is the thing. The Exch1 has been live now for months, and now they want to implement this "plan without a plan". So I'm trying to figure out a way to make this work. Thanks for all of your input markdmac and everyone else.

Can you better explain what you are trying to accomplish?

Focus on the goal and not how you think it needs to be done.

Is the goal to have some form of redundancy? Is the goal for users at the remote location to have local email access? What is it that they want you to accomplish?

Regards,

Mark

OK, here is what is in place already. We have a domain up and running using AD and Exchange 2003. Currently, all users use OWA to connect to Exchange1. Exchange1 and the Domain Controller for this domain are already setup and configured with all the Users/Mailboxes/SecurityPolicies/etc. Everything works GREAT.

Now they want me to configure a new server to ship to them (Exchange2) that they will connect to when they are in that office. So mail comes into our "Mail Purify Server" then on to Exchange1. I need Exchange1 to replicate mail to Exchange2. Users will then SEND mail through Exchange2. Exchange2 sends the mail to Exchange1 and out to the world. If this doesn't make sense I will try again, don't worry. thanks again for all of your help.

OK this makes a lot more sense now. What you are looking for is to just have a second server within your exchange site, using your first server as the mail gateway.

You will need to configure a VPN connection between the sites so the second Exchange server can talk directly to the first.

You will want to setup mailboxes for the users at the remote location to be on that second server.

You should also have a domain controller at the remote site. It needs to be configured as a Global Catalog.

I have to wonder why you have everyone using OWA instead of Outlook. Are you aware that with your Exchange 2003 CALs you have a free Outlook 2003 CAL? Are you also aware that you can configure your remote clients to use Outlook to connect to the existing Exchange server over HTTP?

Regards,

Mark

Are there changes I need to make to Exchange1 to have it act as the mail gateway to Exchange2? I can set up the VPN no problem between the 2.

I need to manually recreate all Mailboxes on Exchange2 to match Exchange1? Or do you mean move the mailboxes from 1 to 2?

Is the Global Catalog Server/DC a must at the remote site? I'm also looking into the Outlook options you noted above. Thanks!

Also, in this scenario, would the mail gateway (Exchange1) serve as a backup to Exchange2? Not to automatically fail over, but if users connected to 1 instead of 2 would the data be there?

Nope.
Nope, just move them.
GC yes. DC, not if the VPN is up nicely.

To be honest, I'd just stick a certificate on the Exchange server (internal is fine), drop it in the trusted stores container of the remote machines and use Outlook Anywhere in cached mode at the far end. No need for a remote Exchange server, no need for a VPN tunnel, nothing to go down and you look fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back