Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Exchange. Have a Domain name. It is being hosted offsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthsideJohnny

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I want to use the offsite Domain for e-mail as well.

joe@offsitedomain.com

My Exchange server all works internally.

The website is going up shortly. Is all I need to do is make sure that this exchange server is in the DNS for the company that is hosting the website?

Where does the MX record come in? When I point the DNS to this companies site, I lose my ability to change my MX record with register.com...

Do I just need to setup the MX record and then point the DNS?

Like I said its setup and running okay internally, which is great for my internally testing and what not.

Oh, Exhange is also installed on the companies PDC...

Any help is greatly appreciated for this Newbie :)

Hey,

I just had the company hosting the website be the primary name server (set with registrar) and have them point thier MX record to my local routers external IP and routed it in with the appropriate ports there.

James

hrmmm. I am gonna have to talk to them. They didnt sound like the knew how to do that...

Love coming into these jobs after all the mistakes have been made so I can clean them up.

Anyone else?

You could edit your record to point to your ip addresses and host your own dns if you wish.

The company hosting your web site will most likely also provide additional DNS services (i.e an MX record) - if not, try ZoneEdit, a free DNS provider that lets you manage your own DNS.

When a foreign mail system goes to send username@your_domain.com, it query it's DNS server (or the remote companies ISP) and it find the DNS server for your_domain.com, it then talks directly to your hosters DNS server and says "I need the mail exchanger record for your_domain.com", which the DNS server replies "The MX record is mailserver.your_domain.com" and your server says "I need the IP address for mailserver" which the DNS gives and then the remote server can talk directly to your Exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back