Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to DW/OLAP : Viewing Data cubes using Crystal Reports ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyersundi

MIS
Jun 3, 2002
US
I am new to the Data Warehousing / OLAP area.

My client has purchased Crystal 8.5 Enterprise and Reports. Crystal is used as an integrated reporting solution.

There is a need to report off a data cube ( provided by another third party vendor).

The questions that i had :

1. Can crystal reports be used to run canned reports off the data cube?

2. Can crystal reports be used to run ad hoc reports off the data cube

3. Can i add more data to the cube and include that in the reporting?

4. Do i have to buy crystal analysis or Holos to report off the data cube?

Thanks,
Iyer

What technology is the data cube implemented in? BTW, Holos is a multidimensional tool used to create and report on cubes. You probably wouldn't need Holos if you have a 3rd party tool in place. Crystal Analysis Professional is included in Crystal Enterprise. Crystal Analysis Professional can interface to other OLAP Servers, including Crystal Holos 8.0a, Crystal Holos 8.5, Microsoft SQL Server 7 OLAP Services (SP2, SP3), Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Analysis Services (SP1, SP2), SAP BW 2.0B, and SAP BW 3.0

There are no 3rd party tools actually.
company A does data extraction, data cleansing and aggregation. puts them in a data cube and pass it on to us.

now we want to run reports / slice and dice / drill down and report off the data cube.

we have an enterprise crystal enterpise licence. can we report this off using this product?

or should be procure crystal analysis or holos for that matter.

we want to run these reports off the internet ( web based)

thanks,

What technology does company A use to build the data cube? If it is SQL Server 2000, you should be able to use Crystal for reporting on the cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back