Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new to dreamweaver...forms with tables

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2003
US
I just started using dreamweaver this week, with the usual level of training sponsorship (Dreamweaver MX: The Missing Manual) and I don't seem to be able to create a form, with the design interface that is, that contains multiple text fields, etc.

So, I don't see a answer to this question in the book on in the help...

How do I place a table inside a form?

I want a form which will contain multiple input fields, lists, etc. that will be filled in and posted, using ASP 3.0, VBS and JS, calling a stored procedure to update the database.

When I place the form on the designer, I can't drag a table to it.

Regards,

Mark

[tt]Create a form, press enter twice just to give you a better visual of the form, then insert your table...

[sup]

Delete * from brain Where MaxLevel = "Full" and reaction = "Slow" order by StartOver
[/sup]

TonyU,

Thanks, simple enough. Would have been nice to add that to the book or the online help!

Regards,

Mark

[tt]Yeah I know, but I forgot...

;-)

[sup]

Delete * from brain Where MaxLevel = "Full" and reaction = "Slow" order by StartOver
[/sup]

Well, I'm sure it won't be the last question I have...

BTW, I'm using it to create an ASP application and is it better to user DW to add the scripting or just edit the output?

[tt]I don't understand your question.
What do you mean "or just edit the output" ?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, perhaps I can assit you better if you explain more in depth...

[sup]

[/sup]

Sure.

I am using Dreamweaver MX to build an ASP page. I will need to put some VBScript and JavaScript on the page to call stored procedure to retrieve data and build HTML for a page that will show a list of items, descriptions and a couple of icons to edit or delete the item. The function would be imbedded as ASP code <%=GetItemList %>

after the ending HTML the function is defined to establish the connection, call the stored procedure, and use the results table to build the the text for the heading and detail. This would be returned like GetItemList = strlist(which contains all the data).

Since I normally would type all this into notepad I can see where I can use Dreamweaver to layout the form or the data entry part and it looks like DW would allow me to enter the scripts, etc., or I can take the code DW generates (pretty much the HTML) and add the 'logic' with notepad.

Right now I would seem to be faster to add it with notepad, but I'm just learning DW and if it would be easier to use DW I'll spend the time to get used to it.

Hope that is a little clearer.

Regards,

Mark

It's going to depend a lot on whether you like the way that MX writes your code for you. You will find that many (or some of) the coding techniques it writes are a little convoluted and maybe larger than you'd have written yourself. However, they do get the job done. If your aim is to develop and deploy quickly, it is of great use. Customizing the code can be a little troublesome, though - just like trying to modify another programmer's code.

I personally do a lot of development in PHP and MySQL, and at first I was uncomfortable with the way MX did things, so I would code it myself. Then I had to do a project FAST so I took a chance. And...it came out all right. Not exactly the way I would have done it myself, but it worked and it was reasonable code.

So......

try it out and decide for yourself!! [pipe]

[tt]I would agree with sej0924

[sup]

Delete * from brain Where MaxLevel = &quot;Full&quot; and reaction = &quot;Slow&quot; order by StartOver
[/sup]

Thanks for the input.

I have some data entry form I need to build and some of the fields will be hidden, enabled or disabled depending on the code passed to the page. I'll see if it is easier to build by hand, with DW or both. It seems to leave my changes alone when I update the generated code.

See you around the boards.

[tt]Let DW build the insert form for you, it actually saves a lot of time, just add your .asp logic

[sup]

Delete * from brain Where MaxLevel = &quot;Full&quot; and reaction = &quot;Slow&quot; order by StartOver
[/sup]

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but in this case I am, so I won't be bashful....

If I looked ast the code I would want to have in my posting form is would look something like this....

<% if mupdate = true then %> <!-- Del or Update -->
<% if request(&quot;ST&quot;) = &quot;DC&quot; %> <!-- delete -->
HTML to define a disabled field
returned from stored procedure
<% else %>
HTML to define the updatable field returned from
stored procedure
<% else %>
HTML for a new field
<% end if %>

So, Dreamweaver can generate this code in my form for me? and I can write the functions to connect, call the SP etc?

Regards,

[tt]DW will write limited asp/logic. It's better to always hand-code it.

The above, dw will not write for you.

[sup]

[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back