Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Dbase, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcomartin

Programmer
May 12, 2003
CA
Hello,

Here is my situation, I have programming exprerience in python, php, java, mysql, postgresql and other web languages and databases. Now with my current position need to maintain an existing ordering and catalog application written in Dbase 5. So my question is, what is the best way to learn dbase 5? Books? Tutorials? Websites? Right now I am pretty lost but feel I can understand everyone once I have something to learn from. Hope someone can help.

Derek

Sorry, my mistake... the existing software is written using dBase IV. Thought it was 5, but its actually 4. I am having a hard time finding any books that actually exist anymore.

Your best bet is to try to find a book. The Language Reference Manual is a great tool for me, personally. Finding a copy may be a chore though.

Hey dcomartin,

Just so you know, you'll need a complete set of dBase-IV version 2.0 books ('Quick Reference Guide' - 90 pages, 'Using Dbase-IV' - 482 pages, 'Getting Started' - 300 pages, 'Language Reference' - 792 pages and 'Programming in dBase-IV' - 534 pages)

I have them all but I'm not going to part with them unless I get dBase-V and that's a lot of photo-copying. I suggest you try YAHOO! shopping or eBay. You may get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back