Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Corel II (Corel vrs. Quark)

Status
Not open for further replies.

annew

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
Hello,

I just started a new job yesterday and they use Corel II to create their printed mailers. I have never used Corel myself...I am a Quark user. It does not appear to be that user friendly at a quick glance. Can anyone recommend a book that will assist QUICKLY getting up to speed on Corel II? What is Corel II's strengths and is it better than Quark?

Thank you,
Anne

Me again...what is Corel's capabilities? I use Quark for creating data sheet, white paper, direct mail, etc...templates and creation of anything printed. I also use Illustrator and Photoshop to create headers, images, logos, etc...for use in Quark or any design work. I am just trying to figure out if I should learn Corel II if it blows away the programs I already use and know and what its capabilities are for what I need to create.

Waiting on pins and needles for your response...

You really can't compare CorelDraw with Quark. CorelDraw is more like Illustrator. It basically has the same capabilities as Illustrator. If your company uses Corel, then I guess you have to get familiar with it, but it doesn't really blow Illustrator away. It does, however, have some useful tools that Illustrator doesn't have. I use CorelDraw for creating 3D (looking) objects and text and then import them into Illustrator or Photoshop for enhancement. CorelDraw also has the ability to open many file formats like CAD files.

Quark is better for multipage things ie newspapers, books etc. Corel is exceptional for leaflets, multipage documents of say upto 10 pages (although many use it for more) sign creation and setting business stationery letterheads, card, forms etc. It's print engine alone for imposition makes it worth it's weight in gold not to mention colour management. It is easy to get work out of Corel as ai, eps, pdf and many many others. You don't have to mess about with text boxes (although you can use 'paragraph text') or put an eps or tiff into a box (I am assuming that later versions of Quark are the same as V3). As for Illustrator I personally find Draw much easier and quicker to use, so different opinion to Pixelchik I'm afraid, basically I think people prefer the application they are used to with each having pros and cons. Draw will still take in your ai/eps/pdf/psd/tiff files and it will be well worth the effort to learn I think you may be pleasantly surprised how easy and quick it can be to produce first class work.

What is this "Corel II"? version 2 shouldn't be used for anything these days :)

Corel II?? - just what I was wondering too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back