Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to commercial cabling standards and possible legal standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalkaos

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
I have a wiring job at the end of this month with a 10,000 sq foot building for a company planning to move in. The walls are not yet up and the drop ceiling has not yet been dropped, so there is time for any installations necessary.

Before dry wall goes up, I want to put boxes in the walls next to studs. I figure I'll use plenum cable all around above the ceiling because (legally) isint that the best idea? I also plan on putting a rack mount and patch panel at the demarc. point.

Heres my question!!! I am not new to networking and cabling, however, I have never done a NEW install for a Commercial building.. Are there any standards and laws I have to watch out for or get certain items? I would like this job to be as neat and tidy as possible...

Thanks,
- Tom

1st visit to this forum. Saaaaaad.!!! Think i'll stick to the Bicsi forum. I'm not scared to ask a "stupid" question there. Grow up guys.

wow thats a neat install! how long did it stay like that :) jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

It is two years old, i just went back and checked as we are going to be pulling some more drops in, and they added one more ISDN router. All is just as it was, boggles the mind. One thing that really helped me on this job was the computer department people were totally PC people. When I met the lady and asked her to show me the equipment rack, she showed me the servers, she didnt even know this room existed. So, I was able to do it right with little "help". Fortunately they almost bought enough switches for the outlets we wired. That let us route and connect all the patch cables in order, making remote management of the switches easy (workstation outlet #2 = switch 1, port 2). I normally would not secure things down quite so tight if there was much chance of moving patch cables, but this one stayed. Now...if we get back in to run more, just have to keep up the standard and hope they let us keep it clean.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

josepablomir, your post really was uncalled for. Nodody here as ever claimed to know everything and slating someone who is only trying to help because you somehow feel threatened isn't really on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back