Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Coldfusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TamedTech

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2005
GB
Afternoon Ladies and Gents,

I'm just starting my career in ColdFusion ... i've worked for a while now on web development, working with all the usual bits from HTML, PHP, MySQL, CSS etc etc ...

I've just started a joint project with a customer of mine to develope what will be a reasonably complex database and i'm looking to build the front end using ColdFusion.

I'll not doubt be spending some time on these BB and thought i would drop a message to introduce myself ... has anyone got some good learning re-sources they might reccomend.

I'd also be interested to hear people opinions of ColdFusion and how easy they have found it to use, if its going to be better for me to go back to standard PHP and MySQL then i would rather know now than further down the line.

Thanks,

Rob

the only downfall of CF is its startup cost

It's very easy to learn and a powerful language.

best book i've read for cf is

Once you see coldfusion to php you'll dread working with PHP again.

I started working with asp.net and wish i was back with cf.

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.

What I like the most:
- How CF deals with databases, I have never used another programming language that was as DB friendly as CF.

What I dislike:
- Cost
- Prefixing all the tags with <CF...

Some resources:
cfQuickDocs
EasyCFM

If you have the money I would recommend CF, I feel it is very productive. It was not designed to do it all, it was designed to help you get things done.

Kris Brixon
www.brixon.org

back to standard PHP and MySQL "

Don't let the PHP zealots fool you into thinking that no other scripting language works well with MySQL. ColdFusions query tags and functions make you wish you never learned PHP :)

I use CFMX 7 and MySQL 4.1 for everything.

Thanks for the input guys,

I spent some time origionaly trawling my way through all of the information thats listed on the Macromedia site and to be honest, i found it a little daunting and over complex.

How ever after discussions with people like yourselves and reading through a bunch of tutorials my opinion has vastly improved, i dont have any doubt that ColdFusion is going to save me a massive amount of Dev time on the next project.

I've invested in a copy of the latest MX edition, much to the displeasure of my wallet ehe ... and can now get to work playing around.

I think from what i have seen the most complicated part of this project is going to be my database, the ColdFusion element seems reasonably simple.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll no doubt be posting a reasonable amount on the TT boards.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back