Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Cognos -Reports-Scheduler- Is there a way around password?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boatwrim

Technical User
Oct 3, 2011
US
My company has Impromptu 7.4.3042.0 Scheduler 7.4.3031.

I will be inheriting the running of daily, weekly, and monthly reports for our section from another lady. She currently has a meeting entry in outlook for each report and the meeting entry has the .irm attached for the report. She clicks on the .irm in Outlook, Impromptu launches and then she types her user id and password, she save the report to a PDF and then emails it to staff.

When I had inhouse training I was shown Scheduler. Cool, I can automate the report creations for daily, weekly, etc. in a pdf and I can hard code the prompt data. And, I won't have all these reports to run manually every day.

HOWEVER, I was later informed that every time my network password changes I will have to drop ALL the reports in Scheduler and re-create them storing the new password for each report.

Surely, there is a way to schedule each of these reports to run on its individual time frame and only update my password once.

I don't mind updating my password as it changes but I do mind having to recreate over 50 reports in scheduler every two months just to change the password.

Is there an alternate way to "scheduling" these reports? Is there a way to "hard code" or work around to the password situation?

Thank you in advance for any tips.

To overcome this problem, I made sure that my user sign-on in Cognos Access Manager had OS Sign on enabled. Consult your Cognos Administrator, or if you are such, the pdf "accessadm.pdf" that is found in the documentation folder (path usually C:\Program Files\Cognos\cer5\documentation).

soi là, soi carré

drlex

I read the documentation and sent the information on as a question would this work. The below is the response I got back.

Answer: The security you describe below is within the Impromptu application only. If we had an unsecure network, that would work. However, your p’word is “changed” at the network level which is a part of xxxx’s IT security.

So, know of another way?

I'm afraid I can't quite follow the reply you received; an OS sign-on in Cognos Access Manager will cover the security requirements of Cognos scheduler and Impromptu, allowing the report to run.

soi là, soi carré

I was told that OS Signon would not work because we had a secured network and that my password is changed at the network level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back