Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to BE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

shpshftr

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
Hello everyone. I'm running BE 8.6 to backup 60 servers I'm wondering about the SQL agent for Backup Exec. I own the agent but when I attempt to install it on my SQL servers BE just seems to install the Standard NT/2000 remote agent. Is that correct or should it actually be labeled during install as the BE SQL remote agent. Also does anyone use the OFO option when backing up SQL servers. I read in a forum here that this is not recommended but unfortunately I cannot find any documentation saying that and the top brass won't let me change it without some documentation. Does the OFO cash the snapshot into RAM or the hard drive when creating the snapsot. Is that snapshot stored on the remote server or backup server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do not use the OFO for backing up SQL Server servers...it won't work properly.

I also do not suggest using the Agent for SQL. While it does work, the prefered method is to use SQL Server to do it's own backup to hard drive and then use Backup Exec to copy those backup files to tape.

Also, you say you own the SQL Agent, does that mean you have the license for it (owning the agent and having the license for it are two different things...the agents usually come as part of the basic install disk, but you need the license to actually use them).

-SQLBill

We do own the license for the SQL agent and its in my license list when I go to install remote options. Odd part is when I select it and click next it lists Remote Agent for NT/2000 servers as the option. I would think it should list it specifically as the SQL remote agent. I saw that everyone recommends manually copying the database then backing that up. Unfortunately I already tried to implement that but it was shot down by management saying the bought the SQL agent for that purpose. So I'm stuck using it. If backing up without OFO do oyu think it would be better to use a lock or not? Thanks a lot for your help Bill.

Using the SQL Agent you don't need a lock or OFO or anything else. SQL Agent basically does the same thing as SQL Server does with BACKUP DATABASE commands.

Your license list SHOULD show the Agent for SQL. Remote Agent and Agent for SQL are two TOTALLY different things. You might need both of them if the SQL Server is on a different server than your Backup Exec server.

If the SQL Agent (and I think the proper listing is Agent for SQL Server) isn't in your license list, then it probably didn't get installed or wasn't installed correctly. I would try reinstalling it. Also, are you installing it directly on the SQL Server server or on the Backup Exec server? (the installation should take place on the BE server).

-SQLBill

Oh I did'nt realize it needed to be installed on the BE server. I thought it was similiar to the remote agent and was installed on the SQL server. I will load it right away on the BE server. Thanks again Bill

I believe installing it on the BE Server is what is required. I am rechecking the BE installation guide that I have.

-SQLBill

From the Veritas Backup Exec Admin Guide:(this is for SQL Server 2000 databases):

If your SQL Server is on a different server than your media server (BE server):

you must have SQL Server 2000's Client Connectivity installed on the media server

backup server must have access to Microsoft SQL Server

In order to use the SQL Server Agent, install it on the backup server

-SQLBill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back