Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to BCM 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

xjswx

Technical User
Feb 20, 2007
US
I am new to the BCM 50 and have a problem with the demo I have in my office. The power light is constantly flashing green. I cannot get it to stop no matter what I do. And also I cannot get the line ports to actually work. Is there something wrong with the software or am i just doing something wrong?

What is the status light doing (the led above the power)? What you are describing is the unit is booting up. Is the fan running full speed and then quiets down to a lower rpm?
Can you ping the ethernet ports? Are any digital sets up and running?

The status light is solid green. The power light continuously flashes green. All the keycodes, as far as I can tell, are loaded.

Did you have a power failure?
If it keeps on flashing green,turn the unit off(physically disconnect the power cable)and after a short while reconnect.
7to 10 min are enough for the power lights(2) to be stable(no flashing);if not the unit need to be replaced.

I have done that. Let the thing sit for 2 days. Still does the same thing. I think I have a bad power supply.

Take the cover off and make sure that the hard drive cable is attached correctly.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)

Checked all the internal connections. Everything is correct. I think it has some incompatibility issues with the key codes. I think I will try to blank the system and start fresh. It is just a demo unit for us to play with and I think I have all the keycodes here at my office.

key codes should not prevent a unit from booting up - it must be another issue.
What happened between the time the keycodes were loaded and this problem? Was the system just sitting on the shelf?

I hope someone figures this out because I have a BCM 50 I just powered up and configured, and then two days later (which is today) I loaded a VoIP Gateway keycode and once the system rebooted I had an error and the power light kept flashing.

Once I was able to log into the system I checked the errors and in the log was an error that read...

"Service Manager - Core Telephony has stopped unexpectedly and could not be restarted by service manager."

So if anyone comes up with anything I would love to know.

senk1s: The system was just sitting on the shelf. Another tech that used to work with our company was messing around with it. So basically it is "as is" from the time I started to work with it. No other tech in my company has Nortel experience except me. So I started to hook it up so I could learn it and play with it. Thats when I found the problem. The other tech couldn't even get far enough to log in to it with Element.

110block: Once I figure this problem out I will post it back here. I have someone I can contact who knows much about the BCM's. But it sounds like the same problem I am having that you are having as well. Once you clear all the alarms, your system should come up, but as far as the flashing power light, the only information I have been able to find so far is "Call the vendor you purchased your system from." LOL Great help from the Nortel manual.

xjswx: i was able to follow the "reset to factory default" instructions and was able to get my BCM 50 back to normal working condition. I did however have to reload all my key codes and reconfigure everything i had done to that point, but i was able to get all processes working normally.

I hope you have better luck than I...

The switch is just too fryed. Too many people without enough Nortel exp been messing with it before me.

So.... I'm waiting for my company to get me all the info about where they got it....

Then I'll fix it with a hammer. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back