Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New to Assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantoshNarayan

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
IN
Please suggest some good books on Assembly. Since Assembly is platform specific though it gives an immense amount of power can there be cross-platform compatabilities ? Can anyone get me some good details about assembly ? I want to self-learn.

Is there any basic difference between writing assembly using C++ Assembler and any other.
Is Peter Abbel's book on assembly good to start with ?
Do I need to have a deep knowledge of hardware to start assembly ?

Hello,
There is no 'C++ assembler', you are confusing languages, you are probably refering to 'inline assembly' which lets you use assembly intertwined in C++.
There is no basic difference with assemblers, if they are for the same processors, although the syntax can be different.
Also, with assembly language it matters what operating-system you write for, much more so then what assembler you use.
I don't know Peter Abbel's book, I believe a good book is one that you can understand and learn from so that if you read something else somewhere you can understand it still.
A lot of knowledge of hardware is not always needed, it depends on what you want to do. A good course or book would provide you with all the knowledge you need to succeed in it. However, as with loads of things in life, the more you know, the easier things can get
Wouter Dijkslag

Hey ,
DOnt take peter abbel.. Its not for beginners,
altho he may claim so..
I think u can study a book on assemblers..( Leyland Beck's
system software book.) and then get on to PeterNorton.
Else
Take "Art of assembly" => Thats the most fantastic
i had ever seen
Do not rejoice that ur code works.
it might be a special case of an error :-(

Hey,
If you want something related to architecture try Daniel Tabak. Or if you want something only on assembly try some cracking sites like phrozencrew, crackstore etc... Read documention given with assemblers. You can try nasm documentations.
Regards
Ekanth

Is Art of Assembly Lang. Prog. available at webster
a good one ? They have their own library as well as
language syntax. What is NASM ?

Hello,

Yes, art of assembly language is a good book, but books are personal. Some people can't understand one book but can read others. I never used the 32-bit version myself, since I believe it doesn't teach assembly language at all, but rather programming. The 16 bit is better, but this is my personal opinion, YMMV.

NASM is Netwide Assembler, from or (leads to same place)
Wouter Dijkslag

hello!

i don't know how to display the sum of two numbers, say decimal numbers, properly on the screen.

i am new to this language, so please help me.

thank you very much.

jas112801

Do some research on binary to string conversions, this forum has a 'search' feature ;-). "Information has a tendency to be free. Which means someone will always tell you something you don't want to know."

If you've got in-line assembly in your C++ compiler, that is a really good way to learn, because you can learn piecewise: you can do anything you don't know yet in C, and do the bits you want in assembler. For most people that's probably as far as they'll ever go in assembler anyway, because it's a bit slower to write than a high level language: you probably only want to put into assembler things where you need complete control over what's going on, or where you think you need, and can get, a significant increase in speed. Example: in a run-jump platform type game you need to draw things on the screen very fast, but they are often of known sizes arranged in a grid. It could just be that you can produce a faster picture drawer than anything in your libraries etc., not because you are a better programmer, but because you know exactly what you want to do, and don't have to write general code that will work on all sizes of picture...

try to decide which processor you want to program for. I started with the Intel 8051. I've also tampered with a few MIPS processors.

can u help me to write aproceduer in assembly to read numbers up 4 hexadecimal digits note that the no may contain less than 4 hexadecimal digits use the return keyv as termination char for entering the no

alitiger17@HOTMAIL.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back