Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New T7406E wireless phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveybc

Technical User
May 29, 2002
CA
Hi, I just noticed that Nortel has a new T7406E. I checked out the brochure. Looks nice. Does anyone have experience installing these, how do they measure up to the 7406? Can the 2.4 GHz frequency interfere with wireless networks in any way? Thanks, Dave

Better coverage and sound.
More of a pain to install though if using several on a site but like anything when you have done a few it's duck soup.

curlycord,

Can you switch the T7406E frequency like the T7406 in the event it interferes with other wireless devices? ( I seem to recall reading you can do that last time I installed the T7406 ) Reason is that I recall a 2.4GHz cordless once was giving me problems with a wireless network. Comments are appreciated. Thank you.

I think it's automatic with 90 some odd channels it choose's from.
They say it is designed to resolve issue of frequency in the past.

hey curlycord i noticed that you said they were more of a pain to install. i have never had to install 1 yet but they look really stylish but are you telling me that Nortel chgd the way they connect to the system... are the bases different were you would connect your ports? can you still run 3 handsets off 1 base

Just they way you register them is more of a pain and they use an RJ45 port for the wiring instead of a series of RJ11's, and also to do any firmware upgrades you need this and that etc but dont let all this scare you.

You can now put 4 sets on and still 2 base units.

CC,

So would recommend the T7316E over the T7316 on new installs? Do they seem robust? It seems the new phone is a little more $, is it worth it in your opinion? THanks, Dave

Actually after personal experiance and reading I am not sure if I recommend the T7406. Out of the 3 T7406 I installed 2 of the sites have had problems, 3rd one I havn't heared from them in years, perhaps they ditched me cause of it! I had to ask the users of the other 2 sites to reset, unplug, don't use, however the handsets seem to recover, before I make it buy.

I am guessing it may be to early to tell if the new T7406E is more stable and reliable than the T7406. Perhaps I should recommend the analog solution with ATA's! Myself as well as the users do like the full intergration.

I am interested in the stability of this new version. If anyone has installed these please post how long problem free service they have got so far. Comments are welcome. Thanks

i agree with davey, until i hear some solid long lasting success stories, i am staying away from any cordless Nortel solution. Too costly for the performance issues i have seen for my customers as well in the past! Hopefully they got it right this time....we will see!

imho
7410 was really bad product

7406 was ok ... (better than 7410, but i always think of it being a new bottle)- small warehouse, limited mobility applications

Companion - not worked on those directly, but a solid product

Digital Mobility - same microcellular architecture as Companion - reliable, great coverage range (TOUCHWOOD)

7406E - will be setting one up soon, so will know about it
(on paper it is supposed to work around wifi based computer networks)

Just got my T7406e and it is alot better than the T7406. I put the base in my basement where I have a lab switch and walked out to my mailbox (about 200ft) and still had full bars for signal strength. I have a customer that put in wireless and immediately had issues with their T7406. They are going to test out the T7406e.

They are pretty nice. I installed 3 on a base ( looks like you can get 4 on one). The buttons seemed to have a delayed response when pressed, but they have all the functions of a T7316E. You can even do your programming with it. I can't find a Desktop assistant app. for it. I used an Open Office program with a font size of 5. They looked too nice to hand write the labels. Coverage is great. The guy who bought them can walk all the way to the beach with them. Although it happens to be his backyard in Captiva,FL only a 400' stroll to the Gulf.

T7406e is a better set but not greatest yet. Range OK unless your in a tin building. Put a BNC on one with an external 1.9g antenna and got better coverage in our football field size office. Still cuts out in the john though.

Steve Winter
Dynegy Generation

Totally unrelated- just looking for Curly Cord- your old work no. is not working.Can you send me an email to; kdlsudbury@yahoo.com

swfi,

How did you hook up the external antennae? They didn't look like they screwed off.

I replaced a T7406 with a T7406E. The 7406 was having intermitant problems communicating with the base. The customer likes the 7406E phone and its working well for them. I believe the last one could have been having intermitant problems with the wireless network. The range is good. I am hoping they will be durable as well.

I sold and installed one for a customer who needed more coverage over the previous version. He Loves It! Evidently, the range is much better than the non-E, and it is a neater design. One problem/issue worth noting: the E will not work with the previous base unit. The customer who wishes to upgrade must buy the phone AND the antenna base. Initial cost is salty...

The E uses a different operating frequency, a new base would be needed. I am interseted how someone tweaks the antenna as mentioned earlier.

I've got one.
It has 2 antenna's instead of the 1 with old base.

Seems very good. Very good range(shocking for a Nortel cordless)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back