Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new system won't power up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drusky

Technical User
Feb 28, 2001
AU
Just puchased new system,gigabyte ga-7va motherboard, Amd 2000+ cpu, samsung pc2700 ddr ram, 350watt Omni power supply and a geforce 4 video card.
Put system together and switched it on, powered up for a max of 5 sec then swithed off. before any display on the monitor or beeps were heard from case speaker. Stripped it down to power switch and cpu, still same prob! removed cpu, m\board stayed powered up! Onboard fan and cpu fan both work while 5 sec power is on! Changed cpu with one out of another working system, same prob. tried sw1 switch in all positions no change. Tried new ddr ram, in other sockets, no change! tried new 350watt power supply, no change! There are no other settings on the board for the cpu, only in bios, but system doesn't even get that far! returned m\board thinking it must be at fault, but replacement board same story! Am I missing some basic stupid setting or what. I'm at a loss. Any ideas would be appriciated!

Hi,
I'll try and help with a long shot.

I am not familiar with graphics cards but the question is what is the spec of your card?

Your Motherboard does not support AGP 2x/4x it only supports 4x/8x.

If I am off base, sorry, but could you post the spec of the graphics card.

Regards.

Thanks anyway but have fixed the prob. How I'm not quite sure! I changed the cpu and fan from a working system. when I powered it up the case speaker gave 2 or 3 beeps then booted straight up! With this success, thinking it might be the fan not being recognized by the motherboard I repaced the fan with the original, worked fine! replaced the cpu with the original, so the system was back how I started out, it worked fine!!! Don't know why it didn't work in the first place but works fine now! Don't figure!

It was the fan. I had the same problem. Turns out that the newer motherboards are pretty particular about their CPU fans.

Is your CPU cooling fan connected to its correct power connector?

It appears it was the fan, somehow! the only thing is I now have the original fan (that didn't work) connected and it runs fine! It was a boxed 3pin fan that came with the processor. I just wonder why it didn't run the first time I connected it!! Just one of those things I guess. Thanx for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back