Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New System will not post 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

treywalker

Programmer
Nov 28, 2002
US
I am having severe trouble with my new system. When I start it up it will go for 3-4 seconds (fan, hard drive, etc. all running) and then it shuts itself down. No beeps, no bios, no monitor output, no nothing.

I have searched everywhere and tried everything suggested, but to no avail. I have to assume that something is not working and that I need to replace it, but I don't know what. Any help is appreciated.

Here's what I've tried so far...
I went jumperless - no change
I took everything out except for the CPU, speaker (to hear beeps) and power supply. - no change
I took the MB off of the chasis (in case of a short) - no change
I plugged a fan into the the CPU fan slot (seems some mb's need to think there is a CPU fan) - no change
I've tried every combination of having things plugged in or not plugged in - no change except for what is mentioned below

One thing I can do to make it work differently is to take out the CPU. No matter what I have plugged in, if I take out the CPU it will start up as mentioned, but it will not shut itself off. Still no beeps, no bios, no monitor output, no nothing. But at least it doesn't shut itself off.

System Hardware:

Asus A7N8X MB
Corsair 512MB PC3200DDR
Athlon XP 2400+
Albatron geforce4 Ti4200 Video Card
Western Digital Harddrive
Samsung DVD/CD-RW
Swiftech Heatsink & fan

Please, somebody help me!!!!

well back again....i replaced my CPU and its werkign again and i got Ambitious AGAIN!! and flashed a honey X OC bios into teh mobo and it went great ( i used a harddrive flash..safer than floppys) well all is well it enables AGP fastwrites and i'm happy...Oced my 2000+ to a 2100+ wiht only a 5degree F increse in temp. but all of a sudden my computer crasehs alot....oh yhea i also have my GF4 MX440-se OCed to 302mhz-core/382mhz mem. wut could be the culprit?

PS. i have FAT errors on my 60 gig now due to those crashes..any help on fixing that? Scandisk doesnt werk.

Hey AmbitiousFish, I Have somewhat the same problem as you with it crashing. I have XP 2000+, K7S5A mobo, GF4 MX440-SE, and 350W PSU. I belive it crashes because the chipset becomes overheated. Here is a link that might help: . I just did it to my mobo, but am trying to get stupid win2k to boot (HD came from another computer). Does anyone know if it is possible to setup different system hardware profiles in 2000 PRO?? I get the blue screen :)

Just a comment re the original topic of no power on self test. I recently bought a pile of parts for a new system, including the ASUS A7N8X mobo and an XP2800+ Athlon CPU and 400W PS. I put it all together (with an anti-static wrist strap and work surface) and at power up, just the fans spin. No POST beeps or audio. No display. Unhooked all the drives, removed RAM, video card, and everything except the CPU. Still nothing. Looked through various forums including this one. Main suspects looked like CPU fan not plugged into the mobo connector, and bad CMOS batteries. I had my CPU fan plugged into the mobo cpu fan connector. I replaced the battery (I REALLY thought that was going to be the fix). Still nothing. Finally also took the CPU off. Now the mobo audible POST told me the CPU was missing. Progress. Put the CPU back on, and nothing. Took the mobo and cpu back to where I purchased it. The bench tech looked at it. The CPU was bad. The mobo was ALSO bad. Bummer! Fortunately, they replaced both. Put it all back together, and everything is wonderful.
The point of all this is, if nothing else makes sense, maybe the CPU and/or mobo really are bad, despite the fact that they are new, and you've been careful putting it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back