Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New system : Using older IDE Drive / Processor Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

TornPhoenix

Technical User
Nov 27, 2004
US
I have a new system, with an AOPen n250a-FR mobo, with a 3700+ AMD Athlon 64 CPU. However the CD-ROM will boot to CD, I was wondering if anyone knew the compatibility with the CPU and MOBO and if that would cause the CD-ROM not to boot to CD? Also, what would happen if I installed an old IDE drive with windows xp pro on the board, would it boot fine with that IDE or would it cause severe errors?

Check BIOS for boot order. Make sure CD drive is above the HD. The IDE drive should work in the system but the preinstalled XP probably will not.

CDROM is set about HDD in boot order. It will say on the screen "Boot to CD: " So I press a key quick. The next screen is blank with a blinking underscore. It never initializes installation. And I'm wondering if it's a compatibility problem. The HDD is SATA on the first SATA connector

I just checked again, wrong processor it is the Athlon 64 3400+ and is completely compatible with the MOBO, but i'm still not sure why it won't boot to CD.

Sounds kind of like you need to install an os.
In the bios ls CD set as a bootable drive?

Thomas

So...who actually cans the worms then?

I have forced a cd boot by setting all of the boot orders to cd rom, but that may not help your SATA problem.

Is the SATA setting set in the BIOS?.....I am assuming there is one and it is on. I have one in my bios but I don't run SATA yet so I'm just asking.

Is the hard drive showing in the bios?

I saw a post here last night that pertained to an SATA Hard drive showing up problem and he went into the bios and ran the ide setup and for some reason that kicked the SATA to be read by the bios.

Hope this helps.

lgebhart

A+, Network+, IC3
MAI for MS Office 2000

Have you tried more than one bootable CD?
Have you tried a different CD-ROM drive?

Well the hard drive is seen in the BIOS, but it says IDE MASTER 2, there's a IDE 0, and IDE 1 channels, for HDDs and CDROMS and what have you, but then there's a IDE 2 chanell, and that's what i'm assuming the SATA is, because the hard drive is showing up there, but it doesn't say SATA connector. I have tried different CD's and CDROM's and the CDROM is set to Boot before the HDD in the BIOS. In fact it comes up to say boot from CD, but then doesn't boot, just a blinking underscore...i'm in need of some help here

Thank you so much for looking into this. I'm going to give these options a try tonight when I get home from work. I think the BIOS update might help. Thanks again, you'll here back from me soon about this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back