Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New system RAID 0 w/ win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnwhite1201

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
US
I am curretly in the process of createing a new system with a hardware controled RAID 0. I had read that it could be done within WIN2K but have run into issues:
* After I completed the install of the RAID controller (a Silicon Image SIL0680) I created the raid from its utility.
* I then began to install win2k. After win2k sees the raid drive it assumes that it needs to be formatted which I can't argue w/ so I let it. Once it gets to the end (and w/ a 244g drive thats a long time), it tells me that the drive is no good, which I know to be false.
* I then just loaded the OS on to one of the drives separatly just to make sure that my assumtions where right. The O/S installed w/o issue.
* I then tried to create it within win2k its self which I also read could work then it would not boot up again.
* At this moment and about 4 reinstalls later I have rellented to the idea of putting my O/S on a 20gb and using the other two for programs and data, I was hoping I could have them all on one large partition.
* Now my questions are:
1. Is it possible to have the O/S on a RAID 0 drive?
2. How can I tell win2K to direct all programs to a folder on the strip drives w/o me having to do it manually everytime I install a new program?

Thanks very much in advance!

Glenn

To add insult to injury, I was just told by the O/S that my partition is too large. Which is why it may have failed in the instllation process. Thought I had something going here, but aparently I am missing some step in this process and it is driving me crazy!

%-)

Glenn a.k.a. confused

has an explanation of this issue under NT 4, but it finishes by saying that the size limitations were fixed in 2000. Maybe they're wrong, and the size limitations just got bigger but not big enough? Who knows.

A while back I found a way to mount your C:\Program Files folder to another partition. I saved the procedure in a text file, here's a copy of it:

procedure to mount \Program Files\ on a separate partition
----------------------------------------------------------

1. Have the desired partition already mounted under some drive letter, assuming D: here
2. Boot into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"
3. go to C:4. type 'cd progra~1'. Make sure this sends you to "Program Files". If it doesn't, figure out
what DOS 8.3 pathname sends you to "Program Files". Make a note of it.
5. rename "Program Files" to "oldProgFiles". The new name MUST be different in the first 8 characters.
This is to make sure the DOS 8.3 pathname will also be changed.
6. type 'mkdir "Program Files"'.
7. type 'cd progra~1', or whatever DOS 8.3 pathname you found in step 4. Make sure it sends you to
the new directory you just created. If not, remove the directory. Make some dummy directories
as needed, then create the real one. One way or another get the correct DOS 8.3 pathname to
be associated with the new "Program Files" directory you are trying to make.
8. type 'mountvol'
9. read the list and find the VolumeID for the desired partition.
10. type 'mountvol &quot;C:\Program Files&quot; <VolumeID>' VolumeID starts with \\?\, its not just the numbers
inside the braces.
11. xcopy everything from oldProgFiles to &quot;Program Files&quot;. use /S /E /V options. I had an &quot;access denied&quot;
error doing this, somehow resolved it by going to D: (which is mapped to the same partition), then typing
xcopy C:\oldProgFiles\*.* .\*.* /S /E
my only guess is the longer destination pathname of &quot;C:\Program Files\*.*&quot; got too long for xcopy
to handle it. (?) I didn't use /V but I should have.
12. 'exit' from the prompt and reboot. It seemed to freeze on me when I did this (must not have liked
me putting the prompt in full screen). just use ctrl-alt-del then click shutdown if that happens.
13. deny access to Everyone on &quot;oldProgFiles&quot;, as an extra way to make sure it isn't getting used.
14. keep the old folder around and watch the log for a while, and test out your programs that were
installed under program files.

Note that we're making an effort to ensure that the 8.3 version of the &quot;Program Files&quot; pathname doesn't change. Many startup items in the registry use the 8.3 pathname. It would sure be nice if Microsoft would let us set up mount points during install, but they don't. The reason you have to use &quot;Safe mode with command prompt&quot; is because otherwise IE will be running and you won't be able to move it.

Sounds good I will try this tonight and let you know!

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back