Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New System Policy..I give up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

derbyshire

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2002
GB
I have been told to construct a new policy for some pupil,s at my school.
Their original account runs off a logon script and the teachers account is the standard user account. I have too modify the standard user account for the pupils new account.
I have tried and failed...

What I need is a step by step guide on how to achieve this.
1. I have created a new user called "pupil"
2. I have made it a member of the domain users
3. I have copied the WINNT.ADM template, modified the copy and saved it as trial.adm template.

How do I link the new user to operate under the new template policy.

I have asked other people, how this is done, but I am confused.

Yesterday I saved the new template as ntconfig, and placed it in the replication scripts. That brought the school to a grinding halt so I quickly put it back as it was. (A little knowledge is dangerous)

I am really fed up now. I would be extremely grateful for some guidance. Confused from Glossop England.

Can you say what you are trying to achieve? Also, are the workstations running NT/2k/XP or 95/98/ME? If the former, then you will need to use policy editor on the server to create/edit NTConfig.pol in the netlogon share on the server( this is here \WINNT\system32\Repl\Import\Scripts normally). If you want a policy for a number of pupils, you should create a group for their user ids, and set up a policy for the group.
If your workstations are 95/98/ME you need to create/edit Config.pol in the same netwlogon share using policy editor on the 95/98/ME machine (this will need to be installed from the Windows install CD if not already there).

NT4 domain
I downloaded a guide to Win NT 4 Profiles an Policies today from microsoft support and created a new policy by following the steps in the instructions. And it worked!!!
1. I created a new group "trial".

2. Used "system policy editor" to make a copy of the "default user" policy, modified it,renamed it "trial" and saved it as NTconfig.pol

3.Saved a copy in the NETLOGON folder.

4. Checked replication was working.

5. Made the new pupils a member of the "domain users" and the new group "trial"

6. It worked !!!

But I am still a bit puzzled...Am I correct in saying that all I done was to put restriction on the default users policy so that in fact there is 2 policies in operation. And that I could do this again to create another policy, also is it true that all the new policies are saved as NTconfig.pol...

Anyway it works and that keeps the boss off my back. One I.T. firm that I approached said that they would do the job in 1 day and it would cost the school 400 pounds ($600)!!

Thanks for your interest and concern anyway wolluf Thanks

Derbyshire,

$600 is really a pretty good discount over what it used to run. We typically charge $100 per user category (Student, teacher, administrator, etc.) per OS to be "locked down" (W2K, WNT, WME, W98, W95) for building the profiles and $15 per seat to install and test. For a typical small school district, it can very easily be $3,000... Of course, that comes with documentation on how to alter it...

You already have the basic ideas down... I recommend getting the O'Reilly book _System Policy Editor_ from amazon.com, bn.com, or your favorite bookstore... the examples in there are exactly what you've been experiencing...

Good luck!

JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back