Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Sound Blaster interfere's with video on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvfelton

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
US
Greetings,

I just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value (CT4780) and plugged it into an Asus A7V8X-LA motherboard. When I boot up, there is no video. When I unplug the card, the video is fine. There is nothing in the event log about this and I can't figure out what's going on. Any trouble shooting help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Have you tried the Sound card in another Slot?

Have you turned off onboard sound in the BIOS?

you may also want to give the onboard video or the Sound Card another IRQ than what the BIOS is giving them...

is the PSU strong enough for all the periphs you got installed?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I have tried the sound card in another slot with the same results.

The on-board audio card is disabled in the BIOS.
Primary Video Adapter = AGP/Onboard
Onboard Video Memory = Auto

IRQ Assignments:
1 System Timer
4 COM1
7 Parallel port
8 CMOS/Clock
9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
12 PS/2 Mouse
13 Processor
14 Primary IDE Controller
15 Seconary IDE Controller
16 Integrated Graphic Processor
17 Modem
19 IEEE 1394 Host Controller
20 PCI IDE Controller
21 USB Controller
23 Ethernet Adapter

IRQ 5 is open

PSU is 250 Watts. Less than I'd like to see, but it is powering the Motherboard, HD DVD, CD-ROM and Modem.

I have tested the sound card in another machine and it boots fine.

Are you getting any beeps when the card is in? As bigbadben made a comment on im thinking it might be your power supply considering your running a very small one.

I'm getting no beeps, but that doesn't mean a beep code is not being sent. I have never gotten any sounds out of this motherboard. I am trying to get this working for a friend and I'm beginning to think she either needs to return the computer, or get a new motherboard and a bigger power supply.

My advice first try another power supply. Besides a replacement of factory couldnt hurt providing you can get the new one to fit. Its possible to be the motherboard but I dont think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back