Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New site designer needs advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapier

MIS
Apr 9, 1999
US
Greetings! I would like to design a website for a home-based business. I am a WinNT Server 4.0 administrator and have some Visual Basic 5.0 experience, but absolutely NO website design knowledge. <br>
<br>
I'd like any and all information that you kind people would care to share with me. I'd need to register a domain name, find a decent host, the WORKS. I figured I'd ask first, so that maybe some of you could steer me away from common pitfalls.<br>
<br>
Thanks!

First try this site for domain registration: They can tell you what names are available. It's easy to use and really the only service to find this information out. As for a host I'd have to know what area of the country...the world..... you are located. Thats a start!!

Thanks, John. The name I'd like to use is available. I'm in Virginia, and would appreciate any more advice you have.

Hello-

I have some experience, advise, and expertise that I think I could benefit you with.

1. DO NOT get your site hosted through OR Angelfire is EXTREMELY slow, and freeservers has about a 17% down-time :(

2. You will need GREAT amounts of expert tutoring if you plan to design your whole site by yourself! One place where you can get some tutoring (self-study of course) for free is: I, also, would offer to tutor you, but I would be forced to charge you for my time.

3. Other tips for selection of hosting: I haven't yet found an ideal free website host....I am currently trying my site out at Tcfb (The Center for Business) is a place for small to mid-sized businesses to get their sites hosted, to get some advice, and to use their conglomerate numbers to buy discounted supplies. I DO NOT, however think that they provide the CGI hosting that you will soon have need of....not quite sure though.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like more information or guidance.

-Robherc

ICQ#: 34916735<br>
Personal E-mail: robherc@netzero.net
Business E-mail: webmasterstouch@thecenter.zzn.com

Rapier-<br>
<br>
There are 2 ways to code a site. You can do it "by hand" using HTML tags (use notepad + a browser) or you can "cheat" and use a generator. I do both - I get the "quick and dirty" done on a generator, then I tweak it by hand. My generator of choice is Drumbeat 2000 - nice because you can gear your pages to generic browsers (no incompatability issues) and it's more powerful than packages like Adobe's Page Mill (which is a decent little package in and of itself). I personally prefer the generators that aren't geared toward a particular browser (for example, Frontpage writes for IE).<br>
<br>
That said, how to learn HTML tags? It's not difficult, really. Folks have already mentioned some good tutorials; there also are books out there that are helpful too. I have LeMay's "Learn HTML 4.0 in a week" and it's more than sufficient for coding a basic site. I personally like the appendices in this book and use them for easy reference when I get a brain cramp! There are literally a gazillion books on the market - I'd recommend getting one that works for you.<br>
<br>
Some other resources you may want to see: HTML writers guild offers all kinds of advice, graphics, etc. There is also the International Webmaster's Association - but it's a little more specialized. Just search them out with a search engine. (I don't remember the URL's off the top of my head; sorry)<br>
<br>
I suspect that your VB knowledge will make this a little easier for you.<br>
<br>
As far as domain names and site hosting go, you don't necessarily need a domain name to have a site on the web. Our ISP offers 5 meg of storage for sites (it's included in the monthly service fee). Check with your ISP (or any local ISP) to see what they have available. One of the less-advertisement-loaded free hosting services is if you're interested in that. You can always purchase your domain name, but it doesn't mean that you've got to use it right away if you need time to work out the details.<br>
<br>
I hope this answers your questions...good luck and happy designing!<br>
<br>
binarybabe<br>
mailto: laurie@ipass.net

Just a note here. If you are really serious about writing GOOD HTML code. One of the things I find that helps me out (an experienced web designer) is browsing the web alot, and when you find something that looks real nice, just use your browsers "View Source" function. (In IE it is under the view menu, source). This can give you a pretty good idea of how web pages are put together. This doesn't always work though, especially if you are viewing DHTML or are in a frame.<br>
As far as how to write HTML, here's a VERY basic, yet working HTML page. And a excellent starting point :)<br>
<br>
&lt;HTML&gt;<br>
&lt;HEAD&gt;&lt;TITLE&gt;HTML PAGE&lt;/TITLE&gt;&lt;/HEAD&gt;<br>
&lt;BODY&gt;<br>
Put whatever you want here, between the body tags!<br>
&lt;/BODY&gt;<br>
&lt;/HTML&gt;

Quick note to all:<br>
<br>
If you like using HTML generators; you might want to ry some of CoffeeCup softwares Shareware trials; I'm currently evaluating some of them myself & they seem to be pretty high quality products.<br>
Their URL is: <br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc

Thanks a lot, all of you! I've been checking out the tutorials and other resources that were recommended. I'll let you know how I make out.<br>
<br>
Melissa<br>
RAPlER@hotmail.com

I currently host sites with Verio and Digihost. (verio.com and digihost.com)<br>
<br>
If you're good at do it yourself stuff both of them are good. Digihost is cheaper and the help is friendlier. <br>
<br>
You can search for web hosting simply by typing hosting, or web hosting into any search engines. Alta Vista is good. There's a million of 'em:)<br>
<br>
Both of these hosting companies have CGI access and user control panels that will help administer your site. Verio's control panel is better and they have some free CGI scripts like bulletin boards, mail forms, and some utilities you can use. Other companies may be better, I just haven't tried more than two. I am also just getting started in the business and am hosting 4 web sites. Some of which are under construction.<br>
<br>
You can spruce up your site with cgi programming from cgiresources.com That's the best place to start. Many of the scripts are free or inexepensive and you can use them to build a lot of functionality into your site, without knowing any CGI or PERL programming.<br>
<br>
If you'd like to look at sites I am working on ...<br>
<br>
(hosted with Verio - the calendar I got from cgiresources.com)<br>
<br>
(under construction)<br>
(under construction)<br>
(underconstruction)

Hi, as far as your hosting needs go try these guys <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> offer a very complete package that gives you everything you could possibly need at a price that will shock you with how affordable it is. They also have 24/7 tech support via toll free phone or email. I have tried many hosting services and these guys blow everyone else away. Their servers are fast and reliable and their service to their customers is 2nd to none. No I'm not affiliated with them, I'm just a highly satisified customer!

If you still want to host it on your computer or someplace else, you can get a free domain name at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> have a number of different options that allow you to do different things.&nbsp;&nbsp;You can host it on your machine in two different ways!&nbsp;&nbsp;You can also have it hosted on some other server (I use the free web space provider <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> you have it hosted somewhere else, they give you the option to mask your real address.&nbsp;&nbsp;In fact, you can even have dial-up connections hosted (it allows for dynamic changes in you IP address).<br><br>As far as CGI goes, I think that ASP can be programmed in VB, but I'm not sure completely, you should check on that.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you don't mind taking a little time to learn another language, PHP and Perl are very good for CGI.&nbsp;&nbsp;You could also use C or C++, but not too many people use those anymore.<br><br>If you want to learn HTML, just do a search on almost any search engine and I guarantee you that you will find thousands of tutorials on the internet.&nbsp;&nbsp;You could search for something simple like, &quot;html tutorial.&quot;<br><br>If you do use a wysiwyg HTML editor, do, as binarybabe suggested above, avoid an editor that limits itself to to one browser like Frontpage does.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, keep in mind that there are people who do use text-only browsers, like Lynx.&nbsp;&nbsp;I suggest making a seperate page for them as well (this site is not very Lynx friendly, as I found out not too long ago). <p>REH<br><a href=mailto:hawkdogg@crosswinds.net>hawkdogg@crosswinds.net</a><br><a href= by Linux</a><br>Learn Linux and Leave out the Windows :)

Hi, <br><br>I'm pretty new to web design as well and it can be a mind numbing experience. Here are some helpful places to visit:<br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new"> - for jscript.<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> - for style sheets. I didnt like the tool but the reference is good.<br><br>Also:<br><br>Save pages to a temp directory and rip them up.<br>and lastly, get a trial copy of dreamweaver or some other generator and generate code then play with it.<br><br>Hope that helps.<br><br>

Some good web hosting:&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> company, Black Sun, has some really good rates and useful packages.&nbsp;&nbsp;Their based in Canada, so if you're in the U.S. or the U.K. you'll get some real value for your money, since all their pricing is in Canadian funds.<br><br>I've only been with them a short time, but all my inquiries get answered the same day... even the same hour sometimes, and they have a very helpful staff.<br><br>I suggest you visit their site. <p>Judland<br><a href=mailto:judlandwaste@netscape.net>judlandwaste@netscape.net</a><br><a href= Flash proving ground...</a><br> &lt;a href=" Intellivision&lt;/a&gt;

Rapier,<br><br>There are a lot of good places to learn about website design.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am an instructor at a local college and I teach website design and HTML coding.<br><br>Some of the references that I give my students are:<br><br><br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> (webbuilding)<br><A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> HREF=" TARGET="_new"> one of the best places I have found to host my sites that I design on the side is <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> have low rates and if you want to use coldfusion it is availble on their server at no charge.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also, you have full access to cgi-bin and with the $17.95 per month package you get 10 e-mail addresses.&nbsp;&nbsp;Check it out - their server down time is minimal and they run on t3 backbones.<br><br>Also, as far as HTML editors to help you learn the code I suggest Allaire's HomeSite - it is free to download at <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> - they are also the creators of coldfusion.<br><br>If you have any questions while you are designing your site, you may feel free to email me at <A HREF="mailto:rsd_2@hotmail.com">rsd_2@hotmail.com</A> and I will be more than happy to help.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think that as website designers the competition is high but we must remember to help each other - after all we are our own best resources (this forum is proof of that).<br><br>Best of luck! :)

As a NT admin you already have a MS software background, FP 2Kis the tool for you. Frontpage 2000 is designed to work with NT, its easy to work with, and its compatible with MS Access. If you want to build a big website its navigation features will lay out the buttons for the links in a snap.

HOWEVER, you MUST learn HTML to be able understand the how the website is done by the tool. Also HTML understanding will help you to begin coding javascript and Dinamic HTML.

For coding html and javascript instead of notepad use Cute Html from Globalspace. The color coding will help you a lot.

NOW if you want to spend more time with your site and make it look awesome with FLASH then Dreamweaver (both are from Macromedia) is the tool. Its interface takes a little to get used to after using a MS product, but after half an hour you will be flying like an old pro. Also there are a lot of other small company products out there that will help you a lot.

Take some time and get some demos, find one that fits your work style, then buy it. Then a good place to find ideas for your site is . There are many great sites designed with different apps that will give some inspiration.

tekagami
uNLIMITED STUDIOS

Probably the most important thing is to sit down and PLAN out your site, before type a letter.

i totally agree with kjonnnnn : till you don't know EXACTLY what you want your pages to do, don't start anything else ;]]

An excellent resource for planning and designing a web site can be found at Yale Style Manual: I have found this site extremely helpful, and am in the process of redesigning my own site from what I've learned.

Hope this helps!

reeces <><

Digital Imaging**Graphics**Web Design

After you create plain HTML pages you'll want to give some functionality to your site. Active Server Pages (ASP) is a technology, I think, you'll want to try.

It uses VBScript, a script version of Visual Basic.

A good site to start is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back