Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New site browser compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutman

Technical User
Mar 10, 2008
GB
Hi there,
I created this site using dreamweaver mx, I have used a basic frames layout. I have been told that it does not work in safari browsers. Does anybody know why? Also is there a way of doing a site like this without using frames?
Thank you

Could you be a bit more specific?
First of all, what do you mean by frames? I cannot find any frames on your site.
And secondly, what is it exactly what doesn't work on safari?

Hi yea thanks for the reply.
I did not find the answer soon enough so I re designed the site and uploaded it yesterday, the old frames one is gone.

I would like to know that the new site works in browsers, So if anybody could let me know of any errors please that would be good

Go here:

You can test your site against any browser and any os, free.
It does take some time, and sometimes you need to re-apply, but it works great.

Have you changed the layout since you first posted? It appears to be a table layout - I can't see any frames.

It appears substantially the same in FF, IE6, IE7 and Safari for Windows.

A few minor comments:
1. I don't understand why there is a strip of monochrome icons across the middle of the page
2. The image files are a bit bloated for internet use - total page load is almost 800K - noticeable lag on my 4M connection - would be totally useless on dialup. See 3. Site code is malformed - see 4. Splash page for a website - A bit 'old hat' maybe?

Suggest you sort out the validation issues and image size issues next. Many flakey layout issues will go away when your page validates. Come back with a clearer description of the problem if it still occurs after the fixes.

Steam Engine Prints

Hi there,
yes I am currently updating the site as we speak, I have got a fish eye menu which is linked to lightbox to display the images, the monochrome images across the middle are a problem I am currently trying to resolve. They are sketchpad examples that I wish to display.
I am kind of learning as I create the site, it is difficult as I initially wanted a basic site with thumbs to the left which when clicked displayed the larger image in the middle, but I cant find out how to do this without using frames. I am using dreamweaver mx. I am basically pasting code i find on the web and combining it with the dreamweaver features. I put the background image on a layout table then everything else is on layers above that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back