Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Site - Architecture question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
US
We are building a new facility and will be migrating our corporate headquarters along with several smaller buildings into one location. I have purchased two 3750G-24T switches for my mdf and 3550-24 switches for each IDF, along with a second 3640 router that I intend to use to better distribute the circuit load and provide redundancy.

In each IDF I will connect the 3550s using a gigastack cable, and then using copper Gbics in the remaining Gbic port on the top and bottom switch in the stack I will connect each Gbic to a gigabit port on the 3750s in the MDF, one on each 3750 to provide redundancy.

In the MDF I planned on multi-homing each server, with 1 gigabit link to each 3750.

Now comes my question - I would like to segment each floor of the building (3 total) into separate subnets for the purpose of DHCP assignment etc... Should I use my 3640 router with multiple FastEthernet ports to do the segmentation or is there a better way - I am confused on how to best do this since I will be running two connections from each IDF back to separate switches in the MDF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please do a "show vtp status" on your 3550 that is setup with the trunking. Also, you might want to manually set the encapsulation to either 802.1q or isl.

the 3550 will not be able to ping the interface of vlan 103 unless it too has an ip address in that vlan.

rburke - in your example above where you recommend connecting the 3640s with /30 links, I am trying to assign an IP address to the gigabit port on the 3750 side of that configuration and get the following error : "IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links".

How do I fix this?

rburke - ok, I think I found the answer, I can use the "no switchport" command to set a port to L3, but now I am curious how I would put all 4 of those /30 connections back to my routers into their own VLAN? Can I still use the "switchport access vlan 5" command if I have used the "no switchport" command?

30362.... You want 4 different /30 connections to be in the same VLAN?

I am asuming you will have 4 connections connected to your 3640, and the 3640 is in vlan 5.

baddos - I have 4 different /30 connections from the switch back to my two 3640s, however to assign an IP address to a port on the switch I have to make it a layer3 port with the "no switchport" command which then prevents me from placing those 4 switch ports into a vlan...

Correct... That is by design.

You can't be in a VLAN and be a layer3 interface at the same time. They only use layer3 interfaces for connecting to other routers, etc.

baddos - as I expected, thanks for the confirmation. I assume that I should treat it like a router and let EIGRP determine the metrics for the best route...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back