Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donluc

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
CA
I am in the process of buying a new server. I need help with what I need for our office. This is the info I have and would like some feedback as to what specs on the server I should have.

we need SQL server for a custom app
other than that the server will mainly be used as a file storage facility
most users use MS word and excel
10 - 25 users
I need help with the hardware specs as how many hard drives for a raid and what would be the best backup to use
I am thinking small business server pro
2.8 Xeon Poweredge
1 GB DDR SDRAM
Redundant power supply
3 hard drives 10,000 SCSI

Some ideas on what I might think of including would be a great help.

Thanks

Your spec looks OK, personally though I'd go for 2x36GB 10k in RAID-1 config for the OS and 3x36GB RAID-5 for data (assuming 60GB is enough space for your data). For backup device I'd go with an LTO-1 drive.

Thanks for the input. Is there a less expensive back up you would recommend....budget constraints.

If it's only 60GB, some flavor of DLT would work, and save you big bucks over LTO. Just remember that if the time comes you need to add storage to the system that you'll have to replace your backup device, too. LTO will give you additional headroom over something like VS160

Thanks for information.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back