Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctor2001

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2001
CA
Hi -

I have a currently creating a new NT domain with a new domino server where I will slowly start mirateing users over to. I need to have the domino servers replicatate with each other so I can transfer a person at a time till the old server no longer has any users on it and I can take it down. The old server is still setup to send and recieve mail. Currently the domino server run independant to each other (different id's). Can someone help as to the direction of I should take to set this up.

This is what I've been thinking...

1. Register a new internet domain, set up the new server to handle that domain and have the old server forward all emails to the new address. I sure there is an easier way ?

Hi doctor2001,

Not sure what's the purpose of this "User Moving" activities. Here is what I think:

1. Create a the new server on the same Notes Domain such both the new and old servers share the same Notes Address Book. If they are on the same Notes Domain, mail should start route from old to new server automatically.

2. User Domino Administration tool to move users to the new server such that it will make the new server as their home server.

3. Once everything done, you could then set up the new server as the SMTP gateway and then you could shutdown the old server.

Hope this help....

Well,

I agree with the above, but I also think that it sounds as if your external domain that you need e-mail to come to has changed.

Domino can handle additional external domains by way Global documents. These are set up under configuration-> Messaging->domains in the administrator client.

With a global domain, you can do a couple of things. If you need to maintain both domains, with users gradullay being migated from one to another, you can set the them to respond to a particular domain name through the use of their internet name. This will allow you to accept mail for as many external domains as needed and will cause Domino to use the name specified in the internet name field as the sent by address.

Alternately, you can use the global domain document to keep your internal domain name intact, so that you don't have the headache of having to switch domains, while responding to all external e-mail from a new domain. I use this to manage our network at the office, with our internal domain being wsl.net and our extrenal name being worldsavings.com. With the global domain document, you specify how extrenal names are contructed... what goes after the @ symbol... and which external domain you will map to the internal network. This method will blanket set up all of your users to respond to the new external name, while leaving the old external name intact - in other words, they will respond to both, until you physically remove the DNS settings that get the old extrenal mail to you.

The domumentation in the help file is very straight forward and easy to follow for setting this up.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back