Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Server Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gselliott

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
GB
I have been given the task of replacing a Windows 2k Server that is quickly coming close to the end of it's life.

The organisation I am working for only has 1 2k Server, I am trying to get them to upgrade to 2003 but not having much luck at the moment so I need to find a quick and painless as possible way of replacing this server.

I have been having a quick look online at a couple of servers on the usual sites (Dell, HP etc) and none seem to support 2k server any more so no drivers available I'm just wondering if it's going to be a hard task to find something ready built? Has anyone got any suggestions where and what to buy? The organisation is small only 20 - 30 users so don't need anything special.

Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks

What's the budget range for the new server?

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Probably around £300 - £500 for the hardware as I said they are wanting to use the 2k license they have at the minute and not pay for the 2003 route - although I am trying my best to pursuade them.

assuming you are in the UK, then youre basically looking around $750...I'm not aware of anyplace you will find a decent server for this cost short of ebay...

-Brandon Wilson
A+

What is the server used for? You have a small enviorment so if it is nothing other than a DC you might find something cheap.

what do you want the server to do? print server? Active Directory? radius? file server? how much ram do you need? i dont think you can buy win2k3 anymore, you have to buy win2k8 and 'downgrade'

there also the idea of going the route of building your own....

-Brandon Wilson
A+

Hi we recently purchased a Poweredge SC1430 and a PowerEdge 2900 from Dell although there were no drivers on the Dell site the tech guys were able to provide me a link to their FTP site with the drivers on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back